33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2010, 11:18
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 July 2010 CE
Jul 26, 2010, 10:53
Thomas Stronen - Parish: This guy has been part of the Norwegian jazz scene for a long time and I've been meaning to check out his two solo recordings for a bit now. This is the first one I've managed to get hold of, and it's great. It's a very mellow album and has a lot in common with 'Food' (there is a version of Daddycation on it as it goes) and much less so the 'Humcrush' material. If you're after a lovely bit of improv jazz that won't scare your pets this is a good choice.

John White & Gavin Bryars - Machine music: An early work of Bryars/White here (1978). Well, it's mostly a John white thing, Gavin Bryars is only credited with the composition of the track 'The Squirrel and the Rickety Racketty Bridge', though he plays on two other tracks. A lovely and fresh take on minimalism. It features Nyman, Bailey, Frith, Eno and Sandra Hill as musicians. Yep. With that list of musicians I really don't need to say much else about it tbh.Those that care prolly know all there is to know about these recordings, those that want to know can hit google.

The Fall - OFYC

Povarovo - Tchernovik: Russian doom jazz. Yes, it is a real genre...er.. apparently. Though I find very little similarities between the groups lumped under the term frankly. Of all of them, this is to me the one that sounds like what I'd hear in my head if someone said 'Doom Jazz' to me. Unlike the Mount Fuji Doomjazz collective, which while alright is a bit (like their alter ego The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz ensemble) of an obvious crossover thang (Is all this a reference to the blinding Mount Everest Trio of the 70s I oft wonder). Bohren & Der Club of Gore on the other hand.. well thats a different kettle of oily blood spattered fish. Anyway, yeah Povarorvo... Its Doom guys.. DOOM.

Phonophani - Kreken: Marvellous, though it's taken me a while to let this invade my senses fully. It is to me a natural extension of what was started on Alogs Amateur album. A lot of Norwegian folk themes are getting deconstructed (or is that deterritiorialised) in this. What with this and Markus Popps recent 'Oh' EP (and a large lump of recent net label releases too) I'm detecting a whole new direction in Electronica emerging and it's getting me all excited. Edit : It's not that difficult on the aesthetic mind to trace this direction back to the early electro-acoustic gear of the 90s and that point where processed field recordings started becoming the meat in a lot of arrangements. Microstoria remix album anyone ? Ui innit, Ui is responsible. This currently passively defended opinion may change. Anyway, if 'Amateur' and 'Oak and Rock' did nothing for you then avoid this, you aren't ready for it guv.

Edited : I meant Amateur, not Miniatures, why on earth did I get those confused ?!

Faust - Faust is Last: I bloody love this I does.

Sun Araw - On Patrol: I decided to give this a whirl cos it crops up in these threads a fair bit. I really don't see what all the fuss is about, sorry.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index