Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18 July 2010 CE
Jul 19, 2010, 11:50
The Vic Lewis Orchestra play the music of Donovan: The Boy in the Saffron Robe (orchestral versions of Donovan tunes- not entirely as corny as you might imagine, as they're arranged and produced by John Cameron, who conjures a few moments of pastoral loveliness that would sit well on many of his film soundtracks).

The Rolling Stones- Between the Buttons (on balance I actually prefer the early-to-mid period Stones, with Brian on assorted recorders,sitars etc, to their more popular and mythologised period as blues-rock titans, ie. from 'Beggars...' to 'Exile...' This oft-overlooked LP finds them at their most modish and dandified).

Phantom- Smoke and Mirrors (debut LP from a new band that is very much high gothic. Female vocals and doomy ethereal soundscapes- think Faith-era Cure with Siouxsie up front instead of Bob, early Cocteaus or Dead Can Dance).

Seeland- How To Live (the former lounge-krautrockers have gone pop on us! Much more song-based and melodic than their last record- some moments are very much in an 80s Cope vein- will take a few more listens to sink in though).

Van Morrison- No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (er, no thanks! My Van explorations hit the buffer with this inexplicably rated 80s stinker, which to my ears sounds like a soulless '80s approximation of the Astral Weeks sound,with lyrics by someone who swallowed far too-many self-help books and is just regurgitating buzzwords. And what's happened to his voice? Sorry, but I'm getting off the Van van at Common One and going no further).

Fairport Convention- What We Did On Our Holidays (majesterial! Only marred by my slightly duff 80s vinyl pressing).

Graham Nash- Wild Tales (rather dull on first listen- though it took me a while to get into Songs For Beginners, too).

Cherry Vanilla- Bad Girl (great camp fun).

The Lowland Hundred- Under Cambrian Sky (a real grower, this- kind of Robert Wyatt / Kevin Ayers / Gorkys Zygotic Mynci vocals and melodies over a sound collage of field recordings that occasionally conjure the sinister sound worlds of Scott Walker on Tilt or Drift. Recommended).

Roky Erickson- True Love Cast Out All Evil (I have to say, I'm getting less out of this with repeated plays. Overly polite, and all the songs have the same chord sequences. But still, it has its moments).

The Ramones- S/T. Nuff said!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index