Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 14, 2010, 11:12
I've read a few posts on here that seem to confirm that with people like Cope, its not just a case of getting turned onto his music only but the avenues of discovery he also seems to open up for people. I can safely say that just through Peggy Suicide and Fried (the first 2 JC records I bought and in that order) plus interviews and comparisons in the music press at the time I ended up with glorius shopping lists, bands whose names alone suggested investigation was an essential action (13th Floor Elevators, Amon Duul II, The Velvet Undergound, Sly & The Family Stone etc, etc etc) - and that was just a start.
And not just Cope but The Spacemen 3, Stone Roses and other contempories of the early 90s with a seriously eclectic line in influence. All part of my musical evolution but definitely and undeniably Julian was the biggest revelation and the instigation of my most satisfying discoveries.
I remember the unbridled joy of finding a copy of The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators in Eastern Bloc records - for anyone new to Manchester, Eastern Bloc once actually had a great psychedelic/garage section - totally different from the 'garage' they sell now.
I could rave all day about this but in no uncertain terms, had I not witnessed that performance of Beautiful Love on Jonathan Ross, had I not had enough money that week for Peggy Suicide.....damn it, I wonder just what my record collection would look like today. Shudder to think.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index