Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 11, 2010, 13:06
IanB wrote:

Totally (the "East Easy Rider" rhythm track for one) but great songs will ultimately surive any production treatment. It doesn't sound dated now like some of the hip n happening stuff in 91. You can trace a lot of those baggy groves back to New Orleans and The Meters etc and also to the likes of Little Feat. Cope sounds like he might be familiar with the originals rather than just taking it off the peg to get a good NME review. And it had a killer guitar attack.

I really hated baggy and Acid House - hated the music. Really hated the look. There are a couple of tracks by the Roses and Mondays that were ok (usually because of someone else's production ideas) but the likes of The Milltown Bros, The Farm, Flowered Up, Inspiral Carpets etc were really not meant for me. Neither were the drugs de jour. Can you really see any of that lot coming up with "Hanging Out" , "Promised Land" or "You"? To be fair I was probably 5 years too old for all that. I can see how it might have seemed different if you were 17 - 25 in 1991 and had grown up with the worst of the early and mid 80s.

Yeah, EER is the obvious 'baggy' track I guess, and one which showed that although Julian was walking around demonstrations with a large paper machier head on, he was clearly listening to what was going on at the time. Maybe he had his Walkman on underneath it. Actually, he could probably have fitted a a hi-fi and speakers underneath that!

And you're right - although on the one hand it sounds of its time, it doesn't actually sounded dated, which I guess is true of lots of great records like Green Onions which sprang to mind because they both sahre some rather nifty organ work. And you wouldn't have got The Farm putting a track like Butterfly E on the Altogether Now single!

I liked some of those scenes - notably Voodoo Ray and the Happy Mondays, though its the latters pre-baggy, more early 80's sounding (Nightingales, Fall, etc) Cale produced debut that I go back to most - especially the bass driven Russell. Actually, come to think of it, one of the things I liked most about the Mondays was the other Ryder's basslines.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index