Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

88 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 09, 2010, 22:58
thesweetcheat wrote:
"WSYM" on the radio, for some reason always linked in my mind with The The's "Heartland", must have been on the radio at the same time.

Ah man, I got a Proustian rush of 1986 just reading that sentence! Yeah, same here; I was into him before I knew I was into him, if that makes sense. I remember Teardrop Explodes being around when I was at junior school, but then I rediscovered Cope hearing WSYM for the first time on Janice Long- she really bigged it up as the return of this lost Liverpool legend, but I wasn't that impressed till I saw our man on TOTP- even then I didn't pick it up till it was reduced to 49p in the Woolworths bargain bins!

But you know what, during that period I enjoyed reading the interviews with him in the music press more than his actual music. I used to cut out these crazy, enthusiastic, psychedelic interviews from Sounds, MM, NME and they were really inspiring.

I really liked Charlotte Anne when that came out; and then that infamous Star Test interview! Perhaps bizarrely, the first JC albums I bought were Skellington and Droolian- I found them both in the racks of Psychotronic Video in Camden, during my first term at college in London. Then I bought Fried on Camden Market- the guy who sold it me said, 'you know, this is going to be the start of something big for you.' Seriously.

That was the start. It was also when I first took mushrooms, and then acid: late 89, through the summer of 1990, listening to Fried, Skellington, Droolian and the two Teardrops albums. Oh yeah, and being on the Poll Tax Riots stood right next to Sqwubbsy the whole time, cos it seemed the safest place to be, and then finding out the next week it was Copey underneath (and C4 news soundtracking their coverage with 'and the fighting takes over').

Then Peggy Suicide came out the following year, and I saw the drude live for the first time. Never looked back.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index