Unsung Forum »
6Music is saved :0)

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

6Music is saved :0)
Jul 05, 2010, 13:16
Just seen it on the news, protest actually works! :0)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2554 posts

Re: 6Music is saved :0)
Jul 05, 2010, 13:22
Excellent news for a change.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 13:57
Let's just hope it remains as it was - and not the BBC just keeping the name, to pacify the protestors - but changing the content. Sorry, I am a bit cynical about things like this.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 14:16
Cock On !

:oD
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 16:26
Jul 05, 2010, 14:25
Should darn well hope so too - 6Music is exactly the kind of thing I pay the license fee for..
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 15:15
Kid Calamity wrote:
and not the BBC just keeping the name, to pacify the protestors

The protestors had nothing to do with it. There was no valid case made for scrapping it. The growth in audience that was quoted recently is from figures before the scrapping was announced, too.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 17:49
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
The protestors had nothing to do with it. There was no valid case made for scrapping it. The growth in audience that was quoted recently is from figures before the scrapping was announced, too.

I disagree with you on both points mate.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Jul 05, 2010, 18:13
I am listening to The Freak Zone on iPlayer as I write this - excellent news!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2010, 19:56
Jul 05, 2010, 19:50
Thems the facts.

Today: "BBC Trust chairman Sir Michael Lyons said that the case for the closure of 6 Music had not been made."

Not that they've backtracked, or been swayed by the public outcry, but that it was a bad idea to start with.

The proposed closures were announced in March (also when the Facebook group was set-up). The report (two months later) of a 50% increase in listeners was March 09 - March 10 figures weren't out instantly.

I wrote to the BBC Trust. Signed all the petitions. Asked my prospective MPs where they stood (among other things). But, I'm under no misapprehension that it had anything to do with this decision. And, I found the "what will we save next" crowing of Laverne today frankly in deeply bad taste. How about public sector jobs, Lauren?
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2010, 01:23
Jul 05, 2010, 22:25
The protest culminated in a campaign to get Half Man Half Biscuit's song, "Joy Division Oven Gloves" into the charts. (at number 6)

The campaign used all aspects of the media, from radio 6 itself to websites like facebook, and here.

As a result of this concerted effort by those that gave a shit, (including me) HMHB shot up to the magnificent position of 56th in the singles chart.

I must say, at the time, people were posting here about how if anything, it should be radio 1 that gets axed, since their output is covered in spades by commercial outlets. This argument has carried weight, at least from what I've heard on the radio today.

Good news :) I don't listen to it very often, but I can see it's importance.
Unsung Forum Index