Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE

57 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE
Jul 04, 2010, 23:45
CROSSING THE RED SEA - The Adverts
A genuinely great punk LP IMO, with No Time To Be 21 sounding particularly fine this week.

BIRTHDAY – The Association
Anyone else think that The Bus Song sounds like Decca-era Bowie?

DARK ORGASM –Julian Cope
As mentioned I think Zoroaster and I Don’t Want To Grow Back are two of Cope’s best tracks in recent years. I have to be in the mood for the lengthy Death & Resurrection Show Pt 1 and I guess I wasn’t at ten to nine on a Tuesday morning.

CASTE – Dual
Featuring a certain ‘Julian Coope’ on a couple of tracks.

PLASTIC BEACH – Gorillaz
This just keeps getting better. Top pop LP!

RAW POWER AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO – Iggy & the Stooges
Pretty good recording of a fine night out!

THE VERY BEST OF... – Mott The Hoople
I love those MTH singles, but honestly, I've tried to like the LP tracks at various times over the years and they’ve never done that much for me. And hearing them again here does nothing to change that view. Call me an old pop tart if you like but whilst the singles are lovely sparkly things that shine in your heart, I tend to find the album tracks to be workman-like rock that basically consists of a yobbish sounding Dylan fan hollering over some tired old Stones riffs. But All The Young Dudes, Honaloochie Boogie, etc are class 45’s that I’ll love till the day I die.

AND ANOTHER THING – The Nightingales
New live album. The opening track, Bang Out Of Order, is an absolute cracker!

THE COLLECTION – Teardrop Explodes
A bit of an odd collection really. If it’s meant to be a Greatest Hits, it’s strange that some of the singles are missing (and I’m not taking the Zoo 45’s or the withdrawn Ha Ha I’m Drowning into consideration either). There’s no When I Dream, Tiny Children or You Disappear From View, but there are lots of my all-time favourites here. The Great Dominions is one of the greatest tracks ever IMO! Incidentally, i-tunes showed the following titles being here... Like Leila Khaked Said and Serious Dancer, which I think is a great title!

A LITTLE BLISS FOREVER – White Hills
A big thanks is in order for this lovely piece of vinyl. Especially taken with side 1 on 1st play.

ALSO...
NAKED FRIENDS – Cabinessence
THE COLLECTION – Julian Cope
WERK - Electrolad
FAUST IS LAST – Faust
CHASING AFTER SHADOWS – Hammock
KOYO – Junkboy
THE SONGS WE SANG FOR AUNTIE – The Kinks
HYDE PARK 2010 – Paul McCartney
POWER CORRUPTION & LIES – New Order
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE – The Nightingales
SPECULATION – To Rococo Rot