57 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Edited Jul 04, 2010, 10:44
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 July 2010 CE
Jul 04, 2010, 10:44
The Style Council 'Modernism - A New Decade' - a bit of a guilty pleasure, this, but it don't half make my woofers throb;

Cope 'Fried' - well, you know all about this one. Sounds great on vinyl, even if my copy is barely thicker than a flexidisc. 80's vinyl, doncha just love it;

Dave Brubeck Quartet 'Jazz Impressions Of New York' - still my all-time favourite jazz LP, cool and sophisticated almost to a fault;

Caravan 'Caravan' - eight perfect slices of psychedelic pop glory, sounding especially good in mono. Getting me nicely in the mood for my annual Canterbury trip;

Spooky Tooth 'You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw' and 'Witness' - fine, gospel-tinged, bluesy rock and roll featuring the great (and sorely underrated) Mike Harrison in his vocal prime;

Talking Heads 'Fear Of Music' - the third, and last IMHO, great Heads album, though it sounds tinny and lifeless in its current CD edition: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a decent vinyl edition as good as '77';

The Jolt 'The Jolt' - played this for the first time in years, and really enjoyed it. Much better than the eternal Jam comparisons suggest.

Plus a bit of classical as usual: Arnold Cooke's excellent Third Symphony, Giulini's magisterial reading of Beethoven's Sixth (soon to be reissued as part of a tempting box set of that maestro's Los Angeles Philharmonic recordings - and I rate the Beethoven 5 therein in the top five all-time interpretations of that work, it being a bit of an obsession of mine, to say the least*), Kubelik's wonderful Mahler 5 and live 'Ma Vlast', and some elegant Haydn quartets from the great Tatrai Quartet: the Op.54 & 55 sets, to be exact.

(* 135 recordings and counting...sad but true)

Long may your lums reek with sonic splendour, dear friends.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index