Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 June 2010 CE
Jun 28, 2010, 05:07
Upon reading the On Some Faraway Beach Eno biography,

Before and After Science side 2/Harmonia 76/Cluster and Eno/Tracks and Traces compilation.
On Land/Apollo compilation
Miss Shapiro/801s/Calvert Lucky Lief/Lady June compilation

And still lots of doo-wop for the beach.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 28, 2010, 17:23
(Hmmm, seems like lots of Dead on people's lists this week -- I do think they are a "summertime band"!)

Seeing lots of great live music this summer, which is unusual (tours seem to avoid college towns when the school's out of session.) I recently saw:

TONY ALLEN -- Fela's drummer with a hot afrobeat band headlining an outdoor festival. This guy starts playing a drum solo and you don't even miss the rest of the band. So musical! Genius.

MELVINS -- third time I've seen the current line-up, and the first time I really dug the two drummer set-up. Best gig I've seen them do in at least a decade in fact. Almost like a greatest hits tour, in that they seemed to do one song per album (and they have like 25 albums already.) Played two sets and the show ended with a monster drum duet -- it's almost like they have become "the Grateful Dead of Metal"!!!

In the next two weeks I get to see BLACK MOUNTAIN and LIARS too. And will probably catch ? & THE MYSTERIANS in Chicago later in the month (best garage band ever? Those old guys can boogie!)

CAR CRUISING TAPE: I made a new Guess Who collection focusing on the "mark III" era 1970-1974. One side live, one side studio.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 28, 2010, 20:19
keith a wrote:
Some great choices there, sweetcheat.

And back atcha Keith!

My list was mostly holiday listening this time. Who doesn't want to hear The Plateau Phase on summer holiday?!

:-)
machineryelf
3679 posts

Jun 28, 2010, 20:57
Bong – Live at Roadburn 2010

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondemand/43594849#ondemand.43594849

lotsa other stuff in the archives there Comus, Electric Wizard, Bevis Frond, SunnO))) & more

B-52s – Party Mix

Smiths – Hatful of Hollow

Fields of the Nephelim – Dawnrazor

Japan – Oil On Canvas still think this sounds like an upmarket Duran Duran, it’s OK once in a while but I’ve never loved it

Leyland Kirby – Sadly The Future Is No Longer What It Was this weeks winner of the big title of the week competition

Mortiis – Smell of Rain

Cathedral – Guessing Game, Garden of Unearthly Delights

Kinks - Are The Village Green Preservation Society

Deep Purple – Machinehead

Who – Philly 73 a very nice boot of the Quadrophenia tour

Julian Cope – Citizen Cain’d I must be listening to too muchy lofi sludge cos I’ve never had a problem with the production on this, a cracking little cd [technically cds but I rarely play one without playing the other]

Trad Gras Och Stenar –live 2010 still enjoying these recent live recordings

Six Organs of Admittance –Live at Miss Peapods thanks to JB Lamptoast-Morsley for this , it’s excellent as is the 7 wands [sic?] disc looking forward to the rest too 

John Barleycorn Reborn-newfolke compilation from a couple of years ago, most enjoyable on a sunny day

Black Tempest –Proxima, Ancient Chrome, Postcard dug out some more squid, particularly enjoyed Ancient Chrome, must find the mutation disc and I’m sure there was a brown collab cd as well, my filing system is in a frankly shocking state at the mo

Johnny Cash – God cheery best of featuring the man in black’s god bothering songs, another sunny day classic

A bunch of old nwobhm singles, Mythra,Raven,Tygers of Pantang, Jameson Raid & more, it’s pretty obvious why none of them became household names but lots of nostalgic fun
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 08:03
machineryelf wrote:
Julian Cope – Citizen Cain’d I must be listening to too muchy lofi sludge cos I’ve never had a problem with the production on this, a cracking little cd [technically cds but I rarely play one without playing the other]

I must dig that out again and give it another go. I never got on that well with it TBH.

machineryelf wrote:
Black Tempest –Proxima, Ancient Chrome, Postcard dug out some more squid, particularly enjoyed Ancient Chrome, must find the mutation disc and I’m sure there was a brown collab cd as well, my filing system is in a frankly shocking state at the mo

Thanks! I'd almost forgotten about those earlier CDs. New one is currently at the printers, I'm awaiting proofs. Should be with me in another week or so.

I didn't post a soundtracks this week btw, coz my listening has been largely the same as last week.
keith a
9565 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 08:10
thesweetcheat wrote:

My list was mostly holiday listening this time. Who doesn't want to hear The Plateau Phase on summer holiday?!

:-)

I bet that was a fun trip! ; )
flashbackcaruso
1050 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 09:27
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
The Who - A Quick One
The Beach Boys - Smile
Genesis - Wind & Wuthering
Gentle Giant - Giant Steps
V/A - Early Morning Hush
Family - Music In A Doll's House
The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea
Wizzard - Wizzard Brew
Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (2010 remix)
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 09:55
Salamander - Birds of Appetite
Tanakh - Ardent Fevers
Espers - II
Bardo Pond - On the Ellipse
Stone Breath - The Silver Skein Unwound
Mazzy Star - Among My Swan
machineryelf
3679 posts

Edited Jun 29, 2010, 15:09
Jun 29, 2010, 13:03
Squid Tempest wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

I must dig that out again and give it another go. I never got on that well with it TBH.

machineryelf wrote:

Thanks! I'd almost forgotten about those earlier CDs. New one is currently at the printers, I'm awaiting proofs. Should be with me in another week or so.

I didn't post a soundtracks this week btw, coz my listening has been largely the same as last week.

Citizen Cain'd is much better to my ears than the supposed return to form of You Gotta Problem, which I've been spinning this week and still seems a bit all over the place to me. If JC would set himself a 40-50 min target I suspect he would hit the bulls eye every release, Dark Orgasm & Rome could IMHO gain from losing 2 or 3 tracks, but then IMHO 20 mothers could gain from losing about 18 tracks and it seems to be some folks fave, horse for courses etc

edit of course Mr C is not the only one who would benefit from not feeling the need to fill a cd, 40mins of top tunes will always beat 80mins of a bit of this, a touch of that .

Hopefully your new disc will be out in time for my hols, looking forward to it [hols & your cd]
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 29, 2010, 13:06
I'll save you a copy if you're not around if you like.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index