Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 June 2010 CE

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 June 2010 CE
Jun 21, 2010, 03:25
Caught the middle of this movie at 3am and had my mind blown: http://www.cinemademerde.com/Darktown_Strutters.shtml

Kind of like the Ed Wood version of Sun Ra's "Space Is The Place" . . . .?

Also attended an "Eighties Prom" fundraiser this weekend, which inspired me to dig around my disorganized boxes of old 45's.

Unfortunately I have yet to find the ones I was really looking for: "Leave It" by Yes (with the acapella b-side), "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby (single mix is more "club funky" than the radio hit) and "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" by Hall & Oates (also extended & funkier on .

But I did listen to these bits of flotsam:

"Pac-Man Fever" by Buckner & Garcia (nice instrumental version on b-side)

"One Night In Bangkok" by Murray Head

"Stairway To Heaven" by Far Corporation (Frank Farian, the "genius" behind Boney M and Milli Vanilli! UGh, worse than I remembered.)

"Total Eclipse Of The Heart" by Bonnie Tyler

"The Belle of St. Mark" by Sheila E

Pulled out a stack of Lionel Richie and Huey Lewis on 7" too, but could not sink that far!

(I didn't buy these records when they were hits, I loaded up on super-cheap singles in the 1990's when record stores couldn't give the things away. When they're 20 for a dollar, why not grab everything you recognize?)

((And discovered I have a 7" version of Herbie Mann's "Memphis Underground" WITH VOCALS(!), which is pretty neat but has nothing to do with the 1980's -- and no rare alternate Sonny Sharrock solos either.))

. . . . ANYWAY Ya see that "80's prom" was all somewhat respectable hits like Madonna and Prince, with folks dressed up like characters from various MTV videos . . . an idealized 1980's.

The 80's I remember was more like "Bill Cosby sweaters" and Journey ballads! Kinda gross and depressing!!

Though I still say the "pop songs" of that era were a lot more "musical" that the hits of today (chord changes and melodies and bridges and all of that old fashioned stuff.)

Re-reading Lester Bangs "Bloodlines" book also has me pondering the nostalgia angle a bit: articles on The Beatles and "Bette Davis Eyes" in particular stick in my head . . . .
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index