35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Jun 21, 2010, 21:06
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 June 2010 CE
Jun 20, 2010, 09:40
Steely Dan 'Can't Buy A Thrill' - stunning debut album from one of the most consistently fine bands ever: I can't think of anything they've done that's less than very good, and most of it is much, much better than that;

Traffic 'Traffic', 'Last Exit', 'Welcome To The Canteen' and 'When The Eagle Flies' - Sea Cat's thread of yesterday prompted a fabulous afternoon of Traffic chez moi, and I dug every minute. But in many ways the album I enjoyed most was:

Traffic 'Far From Home' - down to just Winwood and Capaldi on this ignored 1994 one-off comeback album, but the quality of songwriting and execution is well up to the high standards of the house. Check out the wonderful 'Nowhere Is Their Freedom' for a sample;

Michael Nesmith 'Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash' - country rock at its best, with more heart and soul in any one song than in the entire Eagles back catalogue. Yet it was Tippex, not music, that made him rich. Go figure;

Mike Oldfield 'Hergest Ridge' and 'Ommadawn' - I invested in the new deluxe editions of these two long-term favourites last week. Can't express much admiration for Oldfield's new remixes, but the remastered originals sound great. 'Hergest Ridge' easily usurps 'Tubular Bells' as a composition even if - or maybe because - it was put together under pressure. It's a lovely piece of music by any standards;

Egg 'The Polite Force' - staggering time signature abuse: try keeping up with 'Contrasong' without losing your way! In another world, Mont Campbell would've been a megastar;

Dvae Brubeck Quartet 'Jazz Impressions Of New York' - cool as owt;

and these classical spins:

Mahler 4 (BRSO/Kubelik) - with Mrs Kubelik (Elsie Morrison) radiant in the last movement. Great interpretation;

Bruckner 8 (BPO/Furtwaengler) - a performance of extremes, gripping from first note to last;

Arnold Cooke: First Symphony, 'Jabez and the Devil' and Cello Sonata no.2 - I've just discovered this unsung Yorkshire composer whose work is lyrical, distinctive and memorable. Not much is available on record, but I like what I've heard;

Thea Musgrave 'Concerto for Orchestra' - another recent discovery, this lady's work is delightfully spiky and atonal but with just enough finger holes to keep you pinned to the rock face. Fine Lyrita recording too;

Havergal Brian: Symphonies 10 & 21 - dedicated performances from the early seventies of two of Brian's 32 (!) symphonies from an orchestra of Leicestershire schoolchildren, no less. There is so much more to Brian than the (admittedly great) Gothic Symphony, as this sadly forgotten record testifies.

And that's me. Have a good week everyone.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index