Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Kilimanjaro 3CD edition
Jun 16, 2010, 13:51
Just spotted this, over at Spin CDs:

http://www.spincds.com/product.asp?id=9024833

[and, for the link-lazy]

Kilimanjaro was The Teardrop Explodes' 1980 debut album. When it was originally released, the album featured a shadowy photograph of the band on the sleeve, but this was later changed to a cover showing Mount Kilimanjaro, the mountain after which the record was named. The CD the cover artwork reverted to the original for this reissue The original working title for the album was Everyone Wants To Shag The Teardrop Explodes. This was later used for the CD release of demos for the band's never-finished third album. The song "Books" was originally a song by Julian Cope's previous band, The Crucial Three, and was also recorded by Echo & the Bunnymen (as "Read it in Books", released on the b-side of their debut single, and featured on some versions of Crocodiles). The LP reached number 24 on the British pop charts. This treble CD is the final word on the album containing all the early singles, B-Sides and BBC sessions, Sleeve notes by Julian Cope, Dave Balfe and long time press officer Mick Houghton give a great insight into the making of the album. With new boolet artwork from long time collaborator Holly McGrail.

Disc 1
1. Ha Ha I'm Drowning
2. Sleeping Gas
3. Treason
4. Second Head
5. Poppies
6. Went Crazy
7. Brave Boys Keep Their Promises
8. Bouncing Babies
9. Books
10. Thief Of Baghdad
11. When I Dream Original Version

Disc 2
1. Reward
2. Sleeping Gas
3. Camera Camera
4. Kirby Workers Dream Fades 7" Version
5. Bouncing Babies 7" Version
6. All I Am Is Loving You 7" Version
7. Treason Single Version
8. Read It In Books
9. Kilimanjaro
10. Strange House In The Snow 7" Version
11. Use Me
12. Traison (C'Est Juste Une Histoire)
13. Sleeping Gas Live Version

Disc 3
1. Brave Boys Keep Their Promises BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
2. Ha Ha I'm Drowning BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
3. Went Crazy BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
4. Chance BBC Session Peel Plus 1979
5. Thief Of Baghdad BBC Session Peel Plus 1980
6. When I Dream BBC Session Peel Plus 1980
7. The Poppies In The Field BBC Session Peel Plus 1980
8. Reward Mike Read Session 27/10/80
9. Suffocate Mike Read Session 27/10/80
10. For Years Mike Read Session 27/10/80
11. The Great Dominions Mike Read Session 27/10/80

(Universal)

----------

If you don't have Piano and Peel Sessions Plus then there's a lot on offer here.

But if you do have them, then it's pretty much that Mike Read session at the end of the third disc.

However, if the words "original version" at the end of the first disc on what I'm assuming is a reproduced press release at the Spin CDs site means that the album really is going to be presented in its original form then I take all that back.

The fact that Reward appears on the second disc does give this impression, but remember that they did that with the 2000 remaster, placing Reward in the bonus tracks after the album - but the Kilimanjaro tracks were still the remixed versions, regardless of this and the use of the original band photo sleeve.

Can anyone finally clear up whether this really is going to be the original mix or not?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index