Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 13 June 2010 CE

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 13 June 2010 CE
Jun 13, 2010, 21:38
Fela Kuti Black president:the Best Best of disc 1.
The same disc as was played on glengad beach last weekend as people tried to expose the illegal pipe Shell lay. Sounded pretty great through the cycle caravan's bike trailer P.A. & does on my stereo too.
some photos of that beach here
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/96911?search_text=solidarity+camp
Listening to the intense use of repetition in the music here (while being conscious that these are shorter edits) I'm wondering if anybands consciously picked up on that from this source.

The Band s/t
Really like the 1st 2 records by these but don't tend to play them overmuch.

Jimmy Scott
compilation of an unreleased '72 lp and its released successor. Extremely moving material that sounds like a female torch singer with extra maudlin. glad I discovered this last year.

V.D.G.G. The Least We Could Do Is Wave
Another disc I've been neglecting. Found this pretty moving too.
Bass is pretty prominent so odd that it's gone by next lp.
& some lovely intricate melody work in places. Must complete my collection of the remasters.

13th floor Elevators Psychedelic Sounds 3eyed men stereo
great diosc by great band. I think I always tended to prefer Easter everywhere but this sounds great like this.

Gal costa s/t
the more psychedelic 2nd lp. Pretty 'kin great methinks.

Magazine The Correct Use of Soap
yet another lp I keep neglecting but was around my cd player so got onto the 3 changer for several days. really enjoyed it, so wondering why I keep neglecting it.

Ornette Coleman This Is Our Music
band look great on cover, music is great inside but doesn't get played overmuch. Was trying to complete my Ornette 50s/60s collection over last couple of years. Still got a few to get.

Pink Floyd Piper box disc3.
Bunged this on as I neared completion of the Rob Chapman book A Very irregular Head. Very glad I did, had to keep repeating Apples & Oranges. Very odd stuff shame Scream Thy Last scream & Vegetable Man aren't on here but pretty interesting stuff nonetheless.
Again should listen to more Barrett.

several other biots and pieces. Tam Lin by Fairport converntion keeps reappearing on my walkman so do Panther Burns, The Gun Club & The Birthday Party. great.
loads more which I can't think of offhand.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index