Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE

42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE
Jun 06, 2010, 20:48
Ear infection cleared up, time to start working on another one.

The Movements - The World, The Flesh & The Devil/For Sardines Space Is No Problem (Finally got my hands on The World... Only given it one listen so far, but I'm in no way disappointed. I still think I'll end up preferring Sardines, but they're both must listens for space-rock and garage fans)

V.A. Songs We Taught the Fuzztones (There's a lot of competition, but I think this might be my favourite '60s garage comp)

V.A. One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds (Basically the female equivalent to all this garage music I've been blasting recently. Teenage awkwardness abounds)

Vainica Doble - S/T (Hazy, child-like Spanish psyche-folk)

Pylon - Gyrate (Stut-stut-stuttering dance-punk from Georgia)

The Innocence Mission - Birds of My Neighborhood (I really needed something to bring me down from the stratosphere after that Cope gig, and this LP gave me just the gentle comedown I needed to sleep)

The Fall Peel Sessions (I'll admit, I can only listen to a couple of sessions at a time before my eyes start going filmy, but I really love it in small doses)

Sun Ra - Disco 3000 (I wish Sun Ra would have made more LP's with that creepy-cosmic organ he uses here. Love this period of his career)

Katamari Fortissimo Datamacy Soundtrack (Happy fun time inside Japanese video game soundtrack!!! This is no lie.)

Can - Future Days (I wonder if Cope is still so dogmatic when it comes to this LP. It's not my fave Can album, but it's still a really beautiful thing)

Jowe Head - Pincer Movement. (Weird-wave, catchy, dubby lo-fi gems from the ex-Swell Maps bass man. Up there with The Jacobites as far as post-Maps projects go. Highly recommended)

Hampton Grease Band - Music to Eat (Very strange beast. I almost wish it was instrumental, but I don't think it'd be as unique a proposition without the singer's Mayo Thompson/Captain Beefheart-esque ramblings. The twin guitars on here kinda make them sound a little like a more fried Television. Why is it that America's truest, most Gonzo geniuses come from the South?)

Beach Boys - Smile boot (A strangely uplifting document of a man trying to take comfort in the little things as his mind starts to unravel around him)

Legendary Pink Dots - The Golden Age/Your Children Placate You From Premature Graves/Maria Dimension (I kinda like to think of Edward Ka-Spel as Genesis P-Orridge's less evil twin brother. They both have the lispy vocals and draw from a lot of the same psychedelic influences- Monks, Can etc.- and they're both pretty fucking prolific)

Alain Bashung - L'Imprudence (This guy's sort of like the French Scott Walker, I guess. Started out making forgettable chanson music in the '70s, but then made his own Tilt and The Drift with Fantasie Militaire and this)

V.A. - Back From the Grave Vol 1

Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite

A few other things that I can't remember and some great dubby post-punk singles:

Vivien Goldman - Launderette

People in Control - When It's War
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index