Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 23 May 2010 CE
May 24, 2010, 00:03
Augustus Pablo seems popular this week!

LP’S
BIRTHDAY – The Association
As much as I like 60’s MOR there’s the odd moment here which is a bit Cliff Adams Singers even for me, but the opening track, Come On In, is an absolute cracker!

S/T – David G Cox
I came across Cox via House Of Cards, a 15 minute epic that went from ballad to an altogether rockier affair – and all the time Cox was coming on like some latter-day Tom Waits. Tom also springs to mind on the opening number, whilst Song #7 has a Stray Cat Strut feel to it. There’s a bit of Peter Perrett in the vocals The Ballad Of The Yellow Moon, too.

DISINTEGRATION – The Cure
As mentioned elswhere here, this is one of my favourite Cure albums,

YOUR FUTURE OUR CLUTTER – The Fall
I accidentally put track 9 on 1st and was thinking “Blimey, this is a dowdy track to open an album with” before I realised my mistake. The muscular sounding first three tracks and Funnel Of Love sound particularly impressive on early listens, with Maxico Wax Solvent edging it thus far. Reminds me of how the TX sounded live for some reason!

71 MINUTES / FAUST IS LAST – Faust
Old and new! There’s some great moments on 71M, whilst FIL is a mixed bag on first listen. Feed The Greed is awesome though. And I Don't Buy Your Shit Anymore sounds like the Stones with Julian on vocals whilst Babylon brings to mind their contemporaries Can mixed with Saul Williams.

ULTIMATE COLLECTION – The Kinks
Everybody's Gonna Be Happy has got to be the template for The La’s!

LATEST WRITS, GREATEST HITS – Pretty Things
My fave tracks are the early, basic ones like Come See Me and Rosalyn I guess, even though it was the 70’s version I got into first. I bought the Savage Eye LP when I was about 14-15 as a result of seeing them play a blinder supporting Status Quo at the long since departed Belle Vue, Manchester. I loved that album back then, but the one track from it, Remember The Boy, doesn’t sound anywhere near as great now as it did then.

STERTALER - Michael Rother
Now I like this a lot, but I seem to be in a bit of a minority in our house. “What is there to like about it? It’s not very good, is it” said my wife. “It sounds like some awful 80’s computer game” said my daughter. “Side 1 is better” I heard myself say.

THE WORD: MAY 2010 – V/A
Free cd. I was looking forward to hearing the Dave Formula track, Elvis In Space, expecting some atmospheric, slightly miserable electronic instrumental not some calypso number that’s pitched somewhere between a certain brand of 80’s pop and Santana’s Third Album. I like the Tamikrest track though.

ALSO...

RED MECCA – Cabaret Voltaire
WINGS OF DESIRE – Einstellung
TAKING TIGER MOUNTAIN – Eno
KOYO – Junkboy
ROCKERS MEET KING TUBBY IN A FIREHOUSE – Augustus Pablo
IN AND OUT OF CONTROL – The Raveonettes
FROM THE GROUND UP – Shady Bard
HEAVY DEEDS – Sun Araw
EVERYBODY WANTS TO SHAG... – Teardrop Explodes
TOTAL T.REX & THE SPACE CADETS – T.Rex
SCOTT 3 & SCOTT 4 – Scott Walker