31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited May 01, 2010, 23:36
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 2 May 2010 CE
May 01, 2010, 23:33
Lol, do you have an alarm set for the minute it hits midnight?

Good a choice onna the Ennio, eh paisson?

Poet & The Roots - Dread Beat and Blood Heavy protest dub courtesy of Linton Kwesi Johnson, who's now a teacher I think

Lizzy Mercier - Mambo Nassau Really recommended for fans of polyrhythmic danceable rock music a la the Talking Heads

Phil Ochs - Pleasures of the Harbor Gorgeous baroque folk from the protest singer who took his own life a few years after recording this

Crass - Penis Envy Probably my fave Crass album because they give all the vocal duties to the women in the group, and consequently you can actually understand what they're saying, which is a plus for a band with as dense anarcho lyrics as Crass

Marcus Valle - Previsao do Tempo Only Stevie Wonder integrated the moog into gorgeous pop songs with as much proficiency as the Brazilian maestro Valle did here

Allen Toussaint - Southern Nights I'd call him the Brian Eno of soul in that I think he saved his best and most interesting work for his own productions, though he's most famous as a producer of other people's work. He can currently be caught in the HBO show on New Orleans, Treme

Delta 5 - Singles & Sessions A more fun and generally less political Gang of Four. I can hear the influence on a lot of the dance-punk indie bands who are popular right now...but this is less slick and therefore better for me

Circle X - Prehistory/First EP This group should be placed in the same echelon as other heads down and focus Post-Punkers like This Heat. The fact that they loved Krautrock doesn't hurt, either

UT - In Gut's House I really love this all-girl "no wave" group. They reinvent the guitar the same way Fripp and Frith did before them. The vocals might occasionally slip into Patti Smith melodramatic territory, but I find these songs kind of catchy in an avant-rock kind of way

Big Blood - Space Gallery. God I love this band. They sound like they were reared on nothing but the Beatles' Wild Honey Pie and the American Anthology of Folk Music. Like a much more catchy and psychedelic Joanna Newsom. They put up all their albums online for free, but their two best ones, IMO, are: Space Gallery and Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts. Listen. Enjoy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index