Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 19, 2010, 13:01
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 18th April 2010 CE
Apr 18, 2010, 18:16
Southpaw Grammar - Morrissey
Not a big fan of The Sm*ths or Steven Morrissey or any of the bands that followed them (other than maybe the second James album on Sire) but this is a really fine record. The lack of jingle-jangle guitars is a major plus point and for me it's his best (and least mannered) set of vocals. Quite Cope like in parts.

Opeth - Damnation
Endlessly enjoyable. Thanks to Mooncat for pointing me towards this lot. This solves all the problems that I have with a lot of Porcupine Tree records but keeps all of PT's virtues intact.

Wire - Pink Flag
I got this off the back of seeing them supporting The Tubes at Hammersmith a million years ago. My jaw still hasn't quite returned to its rightful position. I didn't think much of their contribution to the awful Live At The Roxy album but they were a killer live band and made me rethink a lot things about musical economy. Would be interesting to consider whether this record and Chairs Missing were any less influential on the 90s and 00s than the first two Stooges reords.

Alice Coltrane - Translinear Light
There are critics (and even fans) who found this a bit polished. Not I. A great positive, loving, soulful jazz record. Not a cliche or a stock phrase to be found anywhere.

Skynyrd - One More For the Road
On the other hand this is all cliche and stock phrases but they wore it well.

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Another cartoon tough southern rock extravaganza. Another exercise in economy if coming out of a trad rock place. Lots of 3 minute songs. Pithy. The transition from Waiting For The Bus to Jesus Just Left Chicago is an all time great piece of arranging and editing.

Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Like the Alice Coltrane album this is another record that inspires great fits of admiration and not a little envy.

Little Feat - Last Record Album
Their last cohesive album with the band teetering on the brink of chasing the money by becoming either Weather Report or the Doobies. No wonder Lowell was having second thoughts but there is enough heart left in his world-weary, witty songwriting to keep their ball out of the gutter.

Maria Calls - Operatic Arias
The third classical album I ever bought (Firebird Suite and the Death In Venice soundtrack were the other two). Fitted neatly into my then doomed genius fixation. Now it just sounds like a beautiful and emotionally engaged singer tackling a gorgeous set of tunes. As moving as Lady In Satin but Callas is at the top of her game and the emotional turmoil is all in the performances rather than between any cracks in the voice. Play it after Dusty in Memphis and before Five Leaves Left. There wont be a dry eye in the house.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index