83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Mar 24, 2010, 09:19
Re: Shoegazer Recommendations
Mar 24, 2010, 06:14
Brad Laner, who put out one of thee best and most criminally underrated albums of the '80s with the Steaming Coils (Breaded, which his friends at Mutant Sounds uploaded online gratis and legally here), did some great stuff in the band Medicine. Their first album Shot Forth Self Living is the one to get- though the first song starts with some real Keiji Haino-esque guitar 'splosions, so be brave!

They're more like an evolution on Shoegazer, but Disco Inferno made some beautiful noisy soundscapes on D.I. Goes Pop and The 5 Eps.

New Zealand's Bailter Space (formerly the even better Gordons) are worth checking out, too- choicest LP being Robot World.

The really catchy noise-pop girl group Black Tambourine kind of pre-empted shoegaze by a couple of years. Their stuff can be found on the Complete Recordings comp...though I think they only made about 9 songs in their short lifespan. It's got a great cover of Love's Can't Explain on there.

And you can't go wrong with Flying Saucer Attack's first two LP's. They also appeared on the droney, almost shoegazery comp, Harmony of the Spheres. That has one of the most transcendently beautiful songs ever on it in the form of Roy Montgomery's Fantasia on a Theme by Sandy Bull. Think a Popol Vuh and the Durutti Column cover band whose only member is God!

Swirlies were pretty cool. I prefer their first LP, Blonder Tongue Audio Baton, because it has a couple of great vapourous indie pop numbers like Pancake.

And the ridiculously prolific Finnish band Circle had a real sludgy shoegazer sound on their first LP, Meronia. Although it's shoegazer as played by Cro Magnon Neu obsessives.

Moon Cat wrote:

ps Wish us Brits had gone for the, prettier, more US centric 'Dream Pop" tag rather than "Shoegaze", although I suppose there is something quite telling in the difference in names 8^)

I think it was the London group A R Kane who coined the phrase Dream Pop. Nothing to be ashamed about; it made for some really gorgeous music. Speaking of A R Kane, this is the 69th post in this thread!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index