72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2010, 16:03
Re: Zappa
Feb 21, 2010, 15:50
I am the biggest admirer of FZ here, I cannot recommend any album without worrying which ones I've left out, so here goes:

Sheik Yerbouti, Uncle Meat, ('), Zoot Allures, for great non-noodling guitarwork I like the aformentioned. There are great moments also in Joes Garage Pt 1. The Shut up and play your Guitar 3LP box set of guitar solos' is concise and better than 'Guitar' with the exception of the piece 'Sexual harassment in the workplace' as Frank came up with some beautiful on the spot compositions. For a one note guitar solo in the tradition of the R&B fellows he was inspired by in the 1950's (Guitar Slim and Johnny Guitar Watson) please listen to 'Wind up working in a Gas Station' from Zoot Allures. Zoot contains 2 more worthy pieces - Zoot Allures itself and Black Napkins.

You can also listen to Zappa Radio, it's on www.zappa.com and you can fix a feed on Realplayer or some such and get aquainted with lots more material.

You can also get his DVD of a 1974 TV show at KCET which is probably at his best called 'Token of my Extreme'

Here is probably his last guitar outing 18 years ago when he was pretty ill, but I think his lyrical idea's, phrasing and dynamism was still much in evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCXS9WKzuo&feature=related

I was at his last concert. *sob*
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index