Lady Gaga on The Brits

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: Lady Gaga on The Brits
Feb 17, 2010, 16:50
Don't get me wrong, she's not my favourite artist ever or anything - she just pisses all over anything else in the charts when it comes to being imaginative. I'd quite like to see her live but I'd never buy one her records, at least none that I've heard.

It's sad how appalling Cheryl Cole is - she was on The Ring or whatever it's called, a fab song.

x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:50
Fairy enough. I mean, I don't own her music and am probably unlikely to do so. But she's one of the brighter stars in what goes for the firmament these days and a bit of colour in these turgid times works for me.

Even 'real' music* (gwag!!!) doesn't sell because it's over-hyped and marketed to fuck in the mainstream before it can even breathe

Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand (Whom I actually like), countless others - tanked with their 3rd albums (sometimes 2nd) in this ADHD pop world because of the satuaration and selling of mediocrity as 'genius' for quick returns.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:51
wychburyman wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
I can take or leave pop in general, but I understand the arguments being put forward. What strikes me is that current pop is so uniform & manufactured, that anyone seeming to be remotely 'different' (whatever the fuck that might mean) is going to attract attention. Lady Gaga has, but is it warranted? Take away the uniform manufactured pop and how dazzling is she?

NEXT WEEK:

Lady Gaga turns up in a Black Sheep outfit!

hehehe! there's a thought!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:54
mojojojo wrote:
she just pisses all over anything else in the charts when it comes to being imaginative

I'll take your word on it, but is that because she's so much better or because the rest of it is so awful. If it's the former then fair play to her, but if it's the latter it's nothing to shout about.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:58
Yeah, but what passes for 'indie' is also marketed and manufactured these days. What get's labelled 'alternative' in the mainstream is about as alternative as McDonalds. And, anyway, artifice and pop have gone hand in hand from day one - it's just more obvious and rapid-fire these days.

I mean, I really like some of the Monkee's songs and they are the epitome of manufactured pop. Doesn't stop Last Train To Clarksville being a top tune though.

In fact, I think there's more honesty in pre-fab pop than there is the marketing of certain singer-songwriters as apparently 'real' music. Artistic 'integrity' and 'authenticity' can be a selling point as much as 'fake' pop-thrills can.

The best thing about the interweb IMO with regards to music is that it has opened up a place for the real alternative, extreme and possibly quite mad music to exist without need for the mainstream at all.
keith a
9570 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 17:01
Vybik Jon wrote:

Take away the uniform manufactured pop and how dazzling is she?

Pretty dazzling.

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jun2009/4/4/lady-gaga-pic-ap-269401546.jpg
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 17:01
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
I think you're being a tad disingenuous there. I think Gaga has a bit of character and oomph which is an all too rare commodity these days and I think she's savvy enough to be in it for a long haul, which is, again, uncommon.

I mean, I thought a recent Saturdays single was brilliant, but they could be absolutely anyone and they seem blissfully unaware of their shelf-life.

In case you wonder where they are, I've flushed your metal credentials down the bog. Hail m/ indeed. :-P

Au contraire. Boldly admitting a liking for some pop whilst carrying the banner for metal is more metal than metal! The true warrior fears not his tears or passions. Besides, chicks dig it. 8^o
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 17:05
Flashing her tits, eh?
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 17:07
A hot nuzzle it would seem!

fnff
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 17:08
I'm not arguing about the moribund stste of lots of music (and films and fashion and TV and sport and tons of other stuff), just responding to the thread.

I didn't see her performance on the show that sparked all this so I'm there to be shot at. I'm just questioning the adulation being poured on her.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index