Lady Gaga on The Brits

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: Lady Gaga on The Brits
Feb 17, 2010, 16:30
I'm sorry I rather like Kasabian and have even seen them live, but all the above descriptions of them, especially yours, have really made me laugh!

I think the difference between good and bad 'slebs', be they musos, filmstars or whatever is how SERIOUSLY they take themselves. I really do think there's such a thing as being TOO earnest and Kasabian are probably a bit guilty of that. A bit more tongue-in-cheek and a bit less tongue-up-the-music-industry's-arse is called for in their case, methinks...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:30
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Tsk. Not very metal all this is it?

Haha! Embrace the pop side of life, give in, ride it like a wave boy.

What, and ruin my doom credentials?

Ying and yang, have a bit of both or create a new genre - doom pop. It'll be a winner.

I'm currently working on a cross between burbly 70s synth-kraut and Sunn O))). I'm going to call it Tangerine Doom.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:34
Yeah, credit due. I'm not much of a fan but fair fucks to her, she's REALLY REALLY good at what she does. If she wants to walk around with an upturned tea-cup on her head and very little else (other than polka dot pants and a conical bra) then that's ok by me. Her songs don't really do it for me but they're quite pleasingly catchy and there is FAR worse out there - I'm beginning to get REALLY sick of Pixie Lott for starters. As for that utterly ABYSMAL Cheryl Cole song, I'd rather clean out my ears with a rusty brillo-pad! No contest - GaGa would get my vote over them every time!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2606 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2010, 16:35
Feb 17, 2010, 16:35
Naah, she (or is it he?) was dreadful. What makes her stand out from the other dire kack that's inflicted upon our poor bairns these days? I can't see anything distinctive there, and her image is about as outrageous as my underpants. But don't listen to me - I turned into my Dad twenty years ago. Now where's that Black Dyke Mills Band LP I pulled out?
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:37
Exactly - that's what I was trying to say but you put it better than I could. There is too much stale old wank out there on the airwaves these days, with a lot of them it's like they can't even be bothered; the lethargy and antipathy (don't even know if that's the right word) are palpable.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2010, 16:41
Feb 17, 2010, 16:38
I think you're being a tad disingenuous there. I think Gaga has a bit of character and oomph which is an all too rare commodity these days and I think she's savvy enough to be in it for a long haul, which is, again, uncommon.

I mean, I thought a recent Saturdays single was brilliant, but they could be absolutely anyone and they seem blissfully unaware of their shelf-life.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:39
Moon Cat wrote:
Come on dude. Do you really want a world where people worship The Kooks or Scouting For Girls? Huh?

Liam Gallagher was cool. But then he took about 30 seconds to paint himself into a corner, afraid of being seein to be 'soft' or 'weird' and turned into a proper plank and fucked up Oasis doing it. I agree he probably should've done better drugs. But you get the impression that mind-exapansion is pretty low on his agenda.

I hope now that Noel is free of the pub-rock shackles he goes on to do more interesting things

Yep I agree. ... but I still think lady gaga is boring pap.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:43
I can take or leave pop in general, but I understand the arguments being put forward. What strikes me is that current pop is so uniform & manufactured, that anyone seeming to be remotely 'different' (whatever the fuck that might mean) is going to attract attention. Lady Gaga has, but is it warranted? Take away the uniform manufactured pop and how dazzling is she?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:46
Moon Cat wrote:
I think you're being a tad disingenuous there. I think Gaga has a bit of character and oomph which is an all too rare commodity these days and I think she's savvy enough to be in it for a long haul, which is, again, uncommon.

I mean, I thought a recent Saturdays single was brilliant, but they could be absolutely anyone and they seem blissfully unaware of their shelf-life.

In case you wonder where they are, I've flushed your metal credentials down the bog. Hail \m/ indeed. :-P
wychburyman
951 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 16:48
Vybik Jon wrote:
I can take or leave pop in general, but I understand the arguments being put forward. What strikes me is that current pop is so uniform & manufactured, that anyone seeming to be remotely 'different' (whatever the fuck that might mean) is going to attract attention. Lady Gaga has, but is it warranted? Take away the uniform manufactured pop and how dazzling is she?

NEXT WEEK:

Lady Gaga turns up in a Black Sheep outfit!
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index