Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 7 February 2010 CE

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 7 February 2010 CE
Feb 07, 2010, 21:59
Thee Mount Silver Zion Memorial Orchestra - Kollaps Traditional rather spiffing new CD from ex GYBE has more than a whiff in places of Hall of the Mountain Grill to my ears , and is allround a most pleasing listen, as much pre post rock as post rock, CD of the year, not hard as it's the only one I've got from 2010 but it will take some beating, also comes with a comic sized book of brown paper/collage/headlines type thing which will be familiar to anyone who knows of GYBE/Mt Zion releases but means it reqs a shelf of its own as it is neither cd nor lp sized, at the moment it is on the naughty step along with 2 3"cds that I don't know what to do with

Pink Floyd-various live shows from 70 & 71, I know that many regard Floyd as a spent force once Syd left but I love this period, wringing every drop from the basic bones of set the controls, one of these days etc,certainly more of a band before Wright & Mason got relegated to bit players, well worth a listen

A Death Cinematic - A Parable on the Aporia of Vengeance sounds like caveman trying to play GYBE, they hit things and wobble pedals loudly until they wrestle the resulting noise into a form akin to music, a prime example of ideas outstripping ability being far superior to ability outstripping ideas

which is something discussed in Bill Brufords autobiography which is a fine read, if somewhat dismaying in places. And it features yet another declaration of Robert Fripp as part genius, but mostly madman.Is there a book out there that actually says Mr Fripp is an all round good egg? I doubt it

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love the phrase perfect album is one that is bandied around too often, but this fits that niche perfectly, I'm not her greatest fan by any means but this particular album is IMHO faultless

Voivod - The Outer Limits it is the curse of any canadian band to be bandied around in the same room as Rush, but Voivod really are the Rush of thrash, they ease up a bit on this, which makes it more listenable but not as much fun as the IMHO best voivod lp Dimension Hatross which also got a spin this week

also featured on the elf hifi this week Nick Drake,Basillica, MV&EE,GHQ,Wooden Wand & the Vanishing Voice,The Ramones,Gaye Bykers On Acid & Eugene Chadborne/Shockabilly
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index