Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 7 February 2010 CE
Feb 08, 2010, 01:35
LP’s
THE AXEMAN COMETH – David Bowie
Bit of a mishmash admittedly, but some great alternative versions here.

MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHJOSTS – Eno / Byrne
Inspired to play this after reading Jim Tones rather good Unsung review. Hearing it now I thought yes, it could be argued that this is a Talking Heads LP with samples on, but it’s a great album. I wanted to play it again straight away afterwards – and yes, The Carrier did it most for me, too!

DIAMONDS & EMERALDS – Care
Take the three glorious 45’s (My Boyish Days / Flaming Sword / Whatever Possessed You) out of the equation, and this admittedly isn’t Paul Simpsons finest hour, but it’s enjoyable all the same. The next Wild Swans album is gonna be loads better, mind!

ALL OVER THE WORLD: THE VERY BEST OF... – ELO
I know, I know! I liked their early stuff up till the admittedly patchy Face The Music and typically went off them when they started having hits! But some of those hits (Mr Blue Sky, Living Thing, etc) are really good. Some of the stuff after that is a bit grim, mind.

S/T – GRIZZZZY BEAR
Not Grizzly Bear. And no, my fingers didn’t get jammed on the letter z.

SMACK – The Neon Judgement
One of my most played albums last year by 80’s Belgian act. And it gets better every listen. Electro beats with Glitter-like chants. YEAH!!

STERTALER - Michael Rother
New to me - I managed to get a scratchy old copy on vinyl. And I've got to say that after one play, I’m really liking it.

SONS & FASCINATION – Simple Minds
Their best IMO. It’s been great re-discovering this one.

EUROPEAN TOUR 1993 – Velvet Underground
Patchy live set. I think the best moments are when Cale sings (there’s good version of The Gift).

THE MAVERICK YEARS – Wah!
Even the rough demo’s have an air of the grandiose about them!

ALSO...
WITHIN REACH – ‘O’ Band
DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH OR SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL - Paloma Faith
SPIRIT OF JOY (TALES FROM THE POLYDOR UNDERGROUND 1967-74) DISC 3 – V/A

45’s
MOR – Blur
BABOOSHKA – Kate Bush
FLIGHT – A Certain Ratio
I WANT YOU TO WANT ME – Cheap Trick
LOVE IS A WAVE – Crystal Stilts
BEING BOILED – Human League
HA HA SAID THE CLOWN – Manfred Mann
YOU MADE ME REALISE / FEED ME WITH YOUR KISS – My Bloody Valentine
CARS – Gary Numan
CHARM – Positive Noise
PALE BLUE EYES – Paul Quinn
BRIGHTER – Railway Children
SHE’S NOT THERE – Santana
HAND IN GLOVE – Sandy Shaw
I TRAVEL / DON’T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME / WATERFRONT – Simple Minds
SONG FROM THE EDGE OF THE WORLD – Siouxsie & the Banshees
SAY HELLO WAVE GOODBYE – Soft Cell
SEE THA’ LIGHT – Alan Vega / ARE Weapons
LIQUID MERCURY – The Wild Swans
HOW MUCH ARE THEY – Jah Wobble, Czukay, Liebezeit
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 10:34
Feb 08, 2010, 10:34
Segovia Collection Vol 3
Nick Harper - Instrumental
Todd - pretty much everything from 1970 to 1978
The Tubes - s/t
The Cars - s/t
The Residents - Duck Stab and Discomo 2000
TB - Rubycon and Pergamon
Trapeze - s/t (interesting record for Moodies obsessives)
The Pop - Go!
Kleptones - Downtime
Hedwig & The Angry Inch Soundtrack
The Casablanca Records Story
Boston - s/t
The Impressions - Definitive
Bobby Conn - The Homeland
Zappa - Yellow Shark
XTC - Black Sea
Wire - Pink Flag
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 10:46
White Hills - S/T (vinyl)
What a cover! And what a great album too. I haven't had time to download the digital version yet, but the vinyl alone is fab.

Moody Blues - This Is...
Prompted by the MB thread and me bigging it up, I've been listening to it as well. Great compilation.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra, Ricochet

Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts
Very nice this, very understated and atmospheric.

10cc - Greatest Hits
Actually rather enjoyed this, to my suprise. Was interesting listening for the elder Squidling who is currently doing a history of pop/rock in his music classes - all the pastiches are very cleverly done.

The Orb - U.F.Orb
Good to hear this again.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 13:48
Feb 08, 2010, 13:18
A bit of a quiet week but here goes...

In car entertainment...

V/A - Kompakt Total Volume 10 (2CD) - Has it's ups and downs but i rather like this, not too in yer face and a great soundtrack for mile munching.

V/A - Indoor Miner 2008/9 - Cheers Keith, really enjoying your picks on these. Dark Captain Light Captain now on order !

SUN ARAW - Heavy Deeds - Love the skeletal voodoo wah guitar, the dislocated backing vox, how everything seems so unforced and natural, and its almost unique vibe ( puts me in mind of Dr John around the Guilded Splinters era, it's got that Juju thing goin' on )

In the flat...

V/A - Pop Ambient 2009 ( Kompakt ) - Ace late night lushness.

PENDRO - Miscelllaneous Downloads - An altogether different late night experience, ominous industrial atmospherics this time. With the lights off and the sound filling the room it felt like i was having an asthma attack inside a set of furnace bellows at one point, nightmarish but great !

WHITE HILLS - s/t - Best yet ? Dave W sounds like an angry man on this one.

And finally got around to hearing these...

RUTH COPELAND - I Am What I Am - Thought Self Portrait was disappointing really and a bit of vanity project despite the musicians involved but this really is a helluva improvement ( especially the raunchier vocals ). Eddie Hazel lets rip all over this too so should've checked this out years ago.

U.S. MUSIC WITH FUNKADELIC - Short but very sweet, prime P-Funk to be had here.

Which led to....

FUNKADELIC - America Eats Its Young - A bit underrated IMO, eclectic and a bit bonkers too

Happy listening everyone,

Mark x
keith a
9565 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 14:09
bubblehead2 wrote:

Dark Captain Light Captain now on order !

Excellent news! Hope you like it - I think it's a *really* good album.

I reviewed it here if anyone fancies a quick read...

http://www.evilsponge.org/albums/DCLC__MiracleKicker.htm
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 14:15
keith a wrote:
bubblehead2 wrote:

Dark Captain Light Captain now on order !

Excellent news! Hope you like it - I think it's a *really* good album.

I reviewed it here if anyone fancies a quick read...

http://www.evilsponge.org/albums/DCLC__MiracleKicker.htm

Nice one K.

I see they're on Lo Recordings- good little label that, I've got their Richard Thomas albums- also good stuff.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 14:57
Feb 08, 2010, 14:49
Nice one, and a 7 outta 7 review too ! Hearing Robot Command Centre again was the clincher for me but was kinda disappointed in myself in that if it wasn't for the remix of Summer so you were kind enough to send i'm not sure if i'd have revisited the earlier tracks and found the beauty therein.

Note to self, concentrate more when you're listening !

Edit - still on a major Vega trip too, love that See Tha' Light track ( as mentioned in your post ) he did with ARE Weapons. He's certainly showing no signs of mellowing out, that's for sure.
keith a
9565 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:17
Jim Tones wrote:

Nice one K.

I see they're on Lo Recordings- good little label that, I've got their Richard Thomas albums- also good stuff.

Cheers JT. Yes, Lo and their sister label Loaf are really good labels.

They were responsible for my fave LP of 2009 in fact - Seeland's Tommorow Today. You can have a quick listen here - I love the opening track, Burning Pages.

http://www.l-o-a-f.com/index.php?artist_id=92

Another good one was Susumu Yokota’s album, Mother, which featured the rather tasty A Flower White single which you can hear here....

http://www.lorecordings.com/index.php?artist_id=26
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2010, 15:22
Feb 08, 2010, 15:22
bubblehead2 wrote:

Edit - still on a major Vega trip too, love that See Tha' Light track ( as mentioned in your post ) he did with ARE Weapons. He's certainly showing no signs of mellowing out, that's for sure.

have you come across any Suicide video? One thing that stood out for me in Punk attitude was seeing the short clip of Vega thwocking the mic off the side of his cheek. Would love to see more of that, or any other that era Suicide.

Do have a 20 odd minute solo show by him singing to backing tracks on spanish Tv from around 84. Looks a bit odd him doing the kung fu Presley etc moves completely on his own.
keith a
9565 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 15:23
bubblehead2 wrote:

Nice one, and a 7 outta 7 review too ! Hearing Robot Command Centre again was the clincher for me but was kinda disappointed in myself in that if it wasn't for the remix of Summer so you were kind enough to send i'm not sure if i'd have revisited the earlier tracks and found the beauty therein.

Note to self, concentrate more when you're listening !

Know the feeling! I've just put RCC on now - yeah, it's achingly beautiful. Love it.

bubblehead2 wrote:

It's fab, isnt it!

Did you hear that Station album a few years ago? He sounded *seriously* angry on that!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index