Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31 January 2010 CE
Feb 01, 2010, 15:05
Popel Vooje wrote:
The Bee Gees - Bee Gees 1st
If they'd just made this one album and then split up ... Unneccessarily dogmatic, perhaps, but some of this sounds a world away even from the epic wall-of-sound ballads that dominate their subsequent late 60s output, let alone the chest-flashing falsetto swagger of their disco fever-era stuff. More psychedelic than anything else theye ver recorded, occupying similar territory to "Oddesey and Oracle" or The Left Banke. Sure, they were too in awe of "Revolver" -era Beatles for their own good, but in 1967, who wasn't?

That's a great album and definitely worthy of the lofty company of Oddesey and Oracle etc. All their first three albums are cut from the same cloth I think, though with somewhat diminishing returns, and then 'Odessa' is their second masterpiece in its own right. Personally I'm happy to stick with them up till 1973's country-rock 'Life in a Tin Can,' and even their disco era is undeniably great pop music, even if not something I'm going to neccesarily sit down and listen to through choice.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index