most Psychedelic record?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Re: most Psychedelic record?
Jan 30, 2010, 09:45
Good call on My life in the Ghost of Bushs not an obvious choice but things like 'Mountain of Needles definitely got that 'otherness' that makes great psychedelic music.

My tip would the be 69 album from arKane in the late 80s: 'Spermwhale trip over me' seems to be the entry point into this record. People credit them for the start of the shoegaze movement but I think that kinda misses the point cos arKane mixed up so many influences i.e PIL, Miles Davis, dub, cocteaus, JAMC, Sun Ra etc that went way beyond the likes of MBV, Ride et al
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 30, 2010, 10:36
Lord Lucan wrote:

Igor Wakhevitch - Logos & Docteur Faust

Yeah, IIRC this was someone who I had heard via a sibling many moons ago, but not known who it was until you did a burn for me LL-

Must dig his stuff out and dive back in- thanks again!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2010, 10:53
Gush of Toasts
Jan 30, 2010, 10:48
rojo wrote:
Good call on My life in the Ghost of Bushs not an obvious choice but things like 'Mountain of Needles definitely got that 'otherness' that makes great psychedelic music.

Also interesting, is that said 'otherness' like the 'Needles' track was recycled and distorted via Goldie for "Sea Of Tears", throwing things into different dimensions for other people to experience.

I did an arse-licking review of 'Bush o' Ghosts' -Here...

Pretty cringeful in places, but hell, I was fired up =8-o
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Gush of Toasts
Jan 30, 2010, 11:59
Nice review, Jim. It's just inspired me to dig out my vinyl copy for a listen later!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Gush of Toasts
Jan 31, 2010, 10:53
keith a wrote:
Nice review, Jim. It's just inspired me to dig out my vinyl copy for a listen later!

Thanks Keef!

I got the remaster a few years ago and was horrified to hear an additional sampled voice in the track- "The Carrier" -I thought it was interference from a passing taxi- totally ruined it for me ;-o
Monolith Cocktail
173 posts

Feb 02, 2010, 15:00
Stevo wrote:
After reading Sea Cat talking about looking for the Motherlode of psychedelic music on his lunchbox thread, I thought I'd ask what individuals here thought was the most psychedelic record they'd heard was.

I'm assuming that these will have changed with experience and that there are a changing array of unsung readers, cos I think something similar was asked some years back. Wouldn't think there was a fixed 'most psychedelic' anyway, since I'd assume it was subjective within some kind of range.

I'm interested in those that fall outside of the more obvious too, since I think I've probably got most of those having been buying in the area for years.

not sure what I'd go for myself & don't want to influence other contributions overly.

I've entered this debate a bit late in the day but one record that I absolutely love is Mijal and White - "I'm in You" off the Turds On A Bum Ride compilations.
The most noisy, psychedelic and trashy piece of music that I've had the fortune to hear.
Sounds like it could have been made 40 years ago or yesterday.

Dom V
Stevo
espsummer
340 posts

Feb 03, 2010, 10:02
i think its more of an idea of "what sounds good to you on psychedelics". if that was the case then some of my favorites would be:

pink floyd: piper at the gates of dawn
sagittarius: present tense
donovan: gift from a flower to a garden
the moody blues: thereshold of a dream

these records all have qualities that i could live in.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Feb 03, 2010, 10:53
goosebal wrote:
Give it a whirl - it's on Screamadelica. I met him once too and thought he was ok but then again I was highly inebriated!!

Screamadelica is a good shout in itself. Fantastic album with plenty of mind altering moments. It soundtracked my early forays into the world of brain rearrangement back in the early 90's. Still sounds great to this day too.

Funny thing with Primal Scream is how they're loved or hated depending on peoples opinion of Bobby. Shame. Also a shame is that they're pretty shit these days.

But back to the thread.....

The Byrds - Untitled - The mammoth version of Eight Miles High soundtracked a night of acid munching way back and we kept playing it over and over because we kept missing the bit where the song kicked back in after the instrumental wig out.

The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music......
Miles Davis - Dark Magus
Caribou - Andorra

My perception of the 'psychedelic' term in relation to music is where the song creates a shift in balance, where time warps, the floor shifts, the mind opens up and you lose your surroundings and just get lost in what you're hearing. Sort of. So for me a lot of dance music using the 303 falls into that realm, some early Mo Wax, some of Animal Collective, early Funkadelic, Comets On Fire, Spacemen 3. The list is kind of endless and is a personal thing to each individual listener but obviously there are those big stand out albums of the 60's LSD era like Piper At The Gates that everyone will say is a psychedelic record.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 03, 2010, 11:10
Good shout on the Orb. UFOrb blew my acid-drenched socks off one time. There a really crystalline sounding bit (is it in O.O.B.E.?) where everything just started whirling and dissolving into shiny things :-) Orbus Terrarum worked pretty well too.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Feb 03, 2010, 12:00
Squid Tempest wrote:
Good shout on the Orb. UFOrb blew my acid-drenched socks off one time. There a really crystalline sounding bit (is it in O.O.B.E.?) where everything just started whirling and dissolving into shiny things :-) Orbus Terrarum worked pretty well too.

Yes, UFOrb as well. More dancey but still a brain swizzler. I saw them live quite a few times during that whole era and much of the time I didn't know where my head was at. Few all-nighters at Brixton Academy, mainly on E but the way they played twisted the usual E vibe into a much more trippy realm. With the lights and visuals entertaining the grey matter as well it made for quite a full on experience. I'm pretty sure I saw a dog running around on stage at one point but never had it confirmed by the people with me. Ah, such good days & nights.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index