most Psychedelic record?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: most Psychedelic record?
Jan 24, 2010, 16:52
Well observed! Never really thought about it before, but I think you're absolutely right there.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 16:55
Eg. Piper At The Gates of Dawn and Strange Days.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 17:08
zphage wrote:

In a general sense, "Alice In Wonderland" framed UK psych, "Wizard Of Oz" framed US psych, with exceptions, and additional tales.

funny though, isn't it Pink Floyd's Dark side Of The Moon that's sposd to match timing or something similar with Wizard of Oz ?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 17:12
Cor, where to begin? Traffic's 'Hole In My Shoe', 'Coloured Rain'...anything off 'Mr Fantasy' really. Red Crayola's 'Hurricane Fighter Plane', the Grateful Dead's 'Anthem Of The Sun', the Beatles' 'Blue Jay Way' or 'I Am The Walrus', the Stones' 'Sing This All Together', Jimi's 'Axis: Bold As Love', Caravan's 'Place Of My Own' and 'And I Wish I Were Stoned/Don't Worry'...all these tick the psychedelic box big time for me.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 17:13
I didn't know that, but I suppose there are bound to be crossovers - different bands being influenced by each other and so on, especially later on in their careers. With regards to the early, pioneering stuff though, I think you've hit the nail on the head.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 17:18
Unfortunately, is a total Urban Myth, tirelessly confirmed by the Floydsters themselves.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 17:19
Stevo wrote:
zphage wrote:

In a general sense, "Alice In Wonderland" framed UK psych, "Wizard Of Oz" framed US psych, with exceptions, and additional tales.

funny though, isn't it Pink Floyd's Dark side Of The Moon that's sposd to match timing or something similar with Wizard of Oz ?

yeah, that was a 90's innovation, yet adaptable to many other movie/record combos
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 21:53
I thought ya meant albums but most people seem to be thinking songs . . .

"Eight Miles High" by The Byrds -- about as psychedelic as you can get with a standard beat group line up (2 guitars, bass, drums, tambourine, harmony voacls) and NO tricky overdubbing or effects.

Albums:

Grateful Dead -- first side of "Anthem of the Sun" and the "Dark Star" side from "Live/Dead". That'd make just about the perfect psychedelic album.

Jeffersion Airplane -- "After Bathing At Baxters", tho I bet it doesn't sound that good if you're actually in a "psychedelic state." ;-)

Country Joe & The Fish -- "Electric Music for Mind & Body" already got a mention, that's an underrated san fran trippy classic (just got it on vinyl the other week!)

NEU! -- first album is easy to get lost in no matter your state of mind!

Several Can albums come to mind as well . . . and some early Amon Duul II classics . . . PINK FLOYD of course, "Meddle" is probably my favorite for just chilling out to.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 21:58
TG - second annual report

8)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 22:10
Jan 24, 2010, 22:09