Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Arena Eno Documentary.
Jan 23, 2010, 14:16
Monolith Cocktail wrote:
Jim Tones wrote:
mojojojo wrote:
Got it taped. Was it good? I alarmingly briefly saw him talking about Andrea Corr.

x

I really enjoyed it, but like most of these Arena/bbc 4 docs, they could be 2 hours and feature more about the way they work etc.
I especially liked hearing about his childhood and the influence of his grandfather.
Eno could talked about cooking breakfast and I'd hang on to every word, such is the power of an old teen hero =8-/

In case anyone missed it, it's on bbc iPlayer now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q9xqk/Arena_Brian_Eno_Another_Green_World/

It wasn't a bad show and yes Brian has a certain tone that always sounds interesting, though there was a lot of gimmicks especially the iPhone product placement!

Would have been good to get more details on his working practice instead of arty drawn out shots of his Apple computer!

Also made him out to have invented far more then he actually did and skimmed over his time spent with Cluster. For my money Holgar Czukay and Irmin Schmidt were far more influential and pushed the envelope further.

Must say could have done without U2 and Coldplay - which after all were just done for the money lets be honest.

My mum met him once when he was staying at a hotel she worked in as a cleaner, he was really nice and gave her a signed CD to pass on to me, which I thought was nice.

Dom V - Monolith Cocktail

Yeah that iPhone plug was a bit crafty!
It was inevitable that U2 and Coldplay would feature, although it wasn't too much of them at all really.

As I said, another hour of his studio techniques and recording, more archive footage and photos etc. -would have been good.
In all fairness, he did say that he wasn't the only (or the first) person executing certain ideas and I'm surprised that more than anyone, Terry Riley wasn't mentioned at all, let alone his Tape Loop techniques.

There are indeed a good handful of people, that you could say were more influential, but I think Eno was in a great position after enduring success in a 'pop' setting in the early 70s, that could bring various ideas out to a wider and younger audience.

Maybe Dieter Mobius was watching it and being a bit more vocally envious of Eno's success than on that recent 'Krautrock' documentary!

;-)
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 14:23
Cheers. What was the thing on afterwards - was it footage of him or people he worked with? x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2010, 14:54
Jan 23, 2010, 14:49
mojojojo wrote:
Cheers. What was the thing on afterwards - was it footage of him or people he worked with? x

It was with Paul Morley narrating- various music Eno has been involved with etc.- there is a great snippet from Full House 1972 of Roxy doing 'Ladytron' with a marvellous synth-soaked opening.

It's also on iPlayer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q9xqm

I don't want to say too much, but catch it all while it's up there
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 15:09
It's okay, I sky plus-ed it. Just being impatient! Thanks.

x
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2010, 16:29
Jan 23, 2010, 15:21
I hadn't seen that fabulous clip of Ladytron before and had to toddle off to bed when it ended so here's hoping the rest of the prog's as good. Had the recorder running so really looking forward to checking out the other clips later.

Anyway, really enjoyed watching the documentary which seemed to last all of about 20 minutes , er, so guess i was hanging off every word too !

What stuck in my mind this morning were his comments on how he hates to remember things as that's all in the past ( and redundant as far as he's concerned ? / or was he just bluffing, maybe ! ). Oh, and the fact he seems to be surrounded by cats ( not necessarily jazzers either ) when he's working.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 17:47
Those streams don't work
here in the US : (
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 18:55
try using a proxy server...
Ziggypop
Ziggypop
300 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 19:02
texlahoma wrote:
try using a proxy server...

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

Works a treat and is FREE...
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 19:53
mojojojo wrote:

Yes, some great records including Devo and Talking Heads.

Found myself really enjoying that Passengers single he did with Bono, The Edge and Pavarotti. Much better than I remembered, lovely use of space, and though not a fan of opera Pavarotti's vocals were awesome. No wonder than Bono, standing a mere few feet away, was unable to suppress a smile.

And whilst I'm hardly a Coldplay fan I think that Viva la Vida is a great single that has something of the late 60's Beach Boys about it.

Crikey...I've been nice about Bono and Coldplay in the same message. That's me finished...

; )

PS What I caught of the Roxy documentary was fabulous!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 23, 2010, 21:15
keith a wrote:

PS What I caught of the Roxy documentary was fabulous!

you not seen that then? it is pretty great. was on just before xmas so I recorded it while I was at my mum's. may be able to copy it if I can get my desktop working.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index