Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 3 January 2010 CE

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 3 January 2010 CE
Jan 03, 2010, 14:09
Miles Davis 'Miles 1958', 'Dark Magus', 'At The Isle Of Wight', 'Filles de Kilimanjaro' and 'Quiet Nights' - the first selections I've played from the massive 'Complete Columbia Recordings' box set are, needless to say, all radically different from each other and of mostly very high merit despite Miles' consistent technical shortcomings (by which I mean his singular inability to complete a solo without at least one split or miss-hit note - okay, so what within the context of his peerless musical and tonal skills, but it does bother me at times). As is always the case with gargantuan collections such as this (not that many others can match this one for size and scope), I'm going to have to be careful not to give myself musical indigestion here. So I'm going to restrict myself, if I can, to a Miles album a week from now on. Haven't yet decided what this week's will be;

Ian Brown 'My Way' - Dear Auntie, thank you for your kind xmas gift, but please don't assume that because I dug the Stone Roses twenty years ago that I'm still interested in kack like this from its least talented member. Can I have a iTunes card next year instead?;

Julian Cope 'Peggy Suicide - Deluxe Edition' - great to hear this again, as I must confess to having kept my vinyl edition in memory mothballs until getting hold of this impressive remastering job . And what a masterpiece it remains: in fact, I think it's better now than ever. Being forever stuck in the past, 'Fried' remains my fave Cope LP but this isn't far behind;

Jethro Tull 'Songs From The Wood', 'Benefit' and 'This Was': the recent Tull thread inspired me to pull these gems out again. Three more different albums by the same name - albeit with different personnel - would be hard to find (well, this side of Miles Davis anyway), but each of these magnificent records would be a career high for a lesser band than the terminally uncool Jethro Tull. As ever, I'd place 'Benefit' as the best of the best, however. It inspired one of my first Unsung reviews and I stand by every inept word I said therein. There's something disturbing and other-worldly about the whole sound of the album that is completely at one with Ian Anderson's warped yet wonderful compositions and which he has never managed to replicate thereafter. 'Aqualung' may have the greater fame and reputation but, fine - nay, superb - as that fourth album is, its predecessor has that certain "X factor" which makes it stand out for me - and I'm not thinking about my "local hero" Joe!

Mick Abrahams Band 'A Musical Evening With The Mick Abrahams Band' - another Unsung favourite of mine, and played - like 'This Was' - in tribute to one of England's greatest and most underrated guitar heroes who is currently enduring a spell of bad health. Get well soon, mate.

Happy New Year everyone

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index