Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 December 2009 CE
Dec 21, 2009, 20:07
Popel Vooje wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Iggy Pop and James Williamson- Kill City.
I'm reading the Ig's bio at the mo, so dug this out. My girlfriend thought it was Alice Cooper. She has a point.

I thought it was the album the Rolling Stones have been trying and failing to make ever since "Goats' Head Soup" myself, but there you go.

I like the sense of sheer rock-bottom catharsis that this album exudes, though - I reckon it's on a par with "Sister Lovers" and "Tonight's The Night" in that respect. Iggy was a meetal and phtysical wreck when this was made and you can hear it in his singing - he sounds utterly vanquished and worn out, as opposed to the maniacally defiant figure on the three Stooges albums.

Indeed, it's a great album. I always thought of it as Stonesy, until she pointed out the Alice Cooper similarities. I think she meant it as a compliment! It's partly him singing in a higher register, and partly the piano and girly BVs augmenting the Detroit rock stomp. Of course, the Alice Cooper band played with the Stooges many times, and apparently James Williamson tried out for Alice around this time- it didn't work out when he came to blows with another band member.

I'd be interested to hear the original tapes, supposedly it was a lot more Stoogey before Williamson remixed it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index