Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 December 2009 CE

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 December 2009 CE
Dec 21, 2009, 17:05
Gyratory System- The Sound Board Breathes.
Bizzare and very British answer to the post-rock, post-techno groove of the likes of Battles and Holy Fuck, but made with electronics, bass, drums and lots of heavily treated trumpet. Ends up being reminiscent of Pigbag, 'On the Corner' Miles, and Barry Adamson among other things. Freaky and addictive.

Six Organs of Admittance- Empty the Sun.
New limited release from Ben Chasny, packaged with a novel of the same name by Joseph Mattson. Fairly typical fare, the band in far gentler and more reflective mood than their recent live shows. Includes a cover of 'Roll the Stone' by Epic Soundtracks.

Nurse With Wound- Paranoia in Hi-Fi.
Not bad for 99p brand new; one long track, a collage of found sounds in a Residents-style.

Baby Dee- A Book of Songs for Ann-Marie.
For the follow up to Safe Inside The Day, Dee finally gives a full release to the songs she'd been playing live previous to that record- a collection previously released on Durto Jnana in a very ltd run. Beautiful, straight-forward songs of hope and yearning, sung with harp and piano backing.

Crosby, Still and Nash- CSN.
Hmm; maybe I should have jumped ship on CSN before this slick-yet-patchy 1977 reunion- Crosby's voice and songwriting talent seem mostly sacrificed to his coke habit, and the others are on middle-aged autopilot for the most part. And yet- it's still a warm, human record and has at least one standout track in Graham Nash's baraoque, moody Blues-esque epic of acid-addled religious and existential confusion, 'Cathedral.'

Iggy Pop and James Williamson- Kill City.
I'm reading the Ig's bio at the mo, so dug this out. My girlfriend thought it was Alice Cooper. She has a point.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index