UK Reggae Greats

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: UK Reggae Greats
Dec 17, 2009, 04:04
It's really as i said Drew, i'm really not the best informed on that particular genre. I do have a few of the classics in my collection though.
Jimmy Cliff, Marley....the obvious stuff.
By the time that reggae really got popular in the states, {around the late 80's, i'd say} I was quite set in my musical ways. And was far more likely to buy an obscure Mississippi Delta blues artist record. That's a genre that i do know about.
But like most in my age/peer/socio-economic/neighborhood group in New York of the 70's....was more likely to hear Reggae via the ERIC's route.
I didn't grow up a rastafarian....and i don't pretend to either.
Sir Richard Burton{of the Arabian Night's translation, not the actor}
is qouted as having said: "if you want to know a man, look at his library"
That's as close as i can remember the qoute. But it's true.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2550 posts

Dec 17, 2009, 04:15
When Two Tone happened in the Uk, The Specials, The Beat etc I started to give it a serious look, I'd always liked Bob Marley and bought his records, same with Yellowman, but British reggae acts, at that time few and far between except for Steel Pulse and Aswad, of course there was UB40 later on, and even tho mentioning them mite raise a few eyebrows at least they introduced that genre to many people. But up here, at that time being miles away from anything, e.g circa Carry Out Feelings, it was all that we had apart from radio.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 17, 2009, 04:25
You mention what you like Drew.
Let it raise the eyebrows.
I won't be the one slagging you off.

I have heard of{and heard with my ears too} some of those artists you mention over the years.
Just haven't gotten around to building up a big reggae section.
I already have so much media, it's staggering. You just can't own everything.
Maybe a comprehensive reggae genere Box-set would do it for me.
But it's no real priority for me.
These days i'm collecting rare vacuum tubes for my amplifier collection.
Gotta get to bed now Drew...There's work early in morn for me.
Nite my man.
D1
unleasHell
112 posts

Re: Too Bad your thread was f'ing hijacked
Dec 17, 2009, 06:24
I am getting into Reggae big time recently and am enjoying some Steel Pulse and Black Uhuru...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2009, 09:19
Dec 17, 2009, 09:14
I have a sneaking suspicion that you would really enjoy "Handsworth Revolution". It's structured like a rock record rather than being an amalgam of singles and filler. It's a serious record lyrically but has a lot in common with the production of a band like Third World. Not to say it is soft by any means but it is really light and airy.

Thirty plus years on it stands up better as a 38 minute listening experience than most records from that era in any genre.

"Dread Beat N Blood" would be my other choice for the casual listener as it is so single minded. It's the reggae equivalent of something like the first Suicide album - music stripped to essentials.

Though neither is really representative of the scene as a whole.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Dec 17, 2009, 10:04
What we need is a 'British Reggae Sampler'. Everyone looks straight to Jamaica, but there's a great crop of second generation (Post Marley) bands about.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Dec 17, 2009, 10:15
Some of Misty's studio stuff was great too. Can't recall the titles offhand, but was it Wise and Foolish? Some brilliant 12"s too - See Them A Come springs to mind.

Aswad - some others:
Live and Direct - great carnival atmosphere, takes me right back.

S/T - only £2.98 on Amazon, and a great album IIRC (haven't heard for some time, might have to buy it!)

New Chapter & (especially) New Chapter of Dub
Absolutely tops, again, IIRC, and, again, I've just added to my shopping list!

Does the Mad Professor count? I'm not sure if he's British or not.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2009, 10:42
Dec 17, 2009, 10:35
Wise and Foolish is a great record. Rich Man too and Salvation. Peel Sessions are well worth getting - a best of both worlds live in the studio set in many respects. I love Counter Eurovision but but the audio quality is incredibly boomy. Like the live Burning Spear record. That one is all room like those early Stones live recordings!

Mad Professor was based in Tulse Hill or somewhere like that though I think he was born in the West Indies. I think you could count him alongside say Jah Shaka as a British artist
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Dec 17, 2009, 10:45
IanB wrote:
Wise and Foolish is a great record. Rich Man too and Salvation. Peel Sessions are well worth getting - a best of both worlds live in the studio set in many respects. I love Counter Eurovision but but the audio quality is incredibly boomy. Like the live Burning Spear record. That one is all room like those early Stones live recordings!

Mad Professor was based in Tulse Hill or somewhere like that though I think he was born in the West Indies. I think you could count him alongside say Jah Shaka as a British artist

I've got a great Mad Prof album, can't recall the name of it offhand though. I'll check it out tonight.

This thread has made me lust after those early Aswad albums - I used to love those, and I've been going through a bit of a regaae/dub phase lately.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 17, 2009, 10:56
The Aswad "Showcase" album of early singles is fantastic and "New Chapter" still sounds wonderful. The harmonies are great. That vocal quality really comes across on the Misty Peel Sessions too.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index