8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 December 2009 CE
Dec 08, 2009, 15:15
The Sea Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
I'm a bit stuck on this again at the moment. Not quite sure why!

Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud
This has really grown on me. One of the best jazz albums I've heard in yonks. Can't wait to play it to my dad, I think he'll love it.

Tubular Bells is wonderful, as indeed Ommadawn. Don't play them much these days, but when I do.... Yes. Mike gets full coolness for those two albums regardless. And Ptah is simply one of the greatest albums, ever. :-)

I actually quite like Hergest Ridge too. I don't listen to them very often either, but I do get the urge every now and then.

Should I check out Hergest Ridge then ? I prefer Ommadawn to TB, because I love the celtic mystic vibe. Woodehenge sounds nice and pagan-y. That would be right up my street. What do you reckon.

( When I hear TB, funnily enough, I don't think of 'that' film like a friend of mine always does, and a lot of others I imagine. As we know, it was conceived and recorded comnpletely unrelated from, and before the film. Mike Oldfield had no personal involvement in the decision behind it's use in a film soundtrack whatsoever. It reminds me of the many awesome and inspiring facets of Nature -I recently saw an Old Grey Whistle Test B & W promo clip that depicted skiers etc. which re-affirmed that feeling )

I never think of the film in tandem with TB either. I heard the album well before seeing the film. You might well like Hergest Ridge I should think. A more gentle vibe than TB, more pastoral.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index