Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 29 November 2009 CE

30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 29 November 2009 CE
Dec 02, 2009, 12:05
Dom Kellor new e.p. interesting heavy shoegaze or whatever. Bit reiminiscent of Loop. Like it but thought tracks would be much longer.

O.V.Wright Giant of southern soul
1 disc best of I chanced on in a sale some years back. He's a great singer and I love the guitarist too. Really slinky leads.

Davy Graham Shirley Collins Folk Roots New Routes
Really enjoying Davy Graham these days, must invest in the new 2cd best of.
The purity of Shirley's singing has always struck me as something of an acquired taste, I like it but I would think others might find it a hurdle. i guess it's the lack of an r'n'r influence or something?
Anyway, very glad I finally got this. Been meaning to for AGES.

Seeds anaheim Melodyland '68
Great also to finally get this, which I think is about the only true live gig document. I think Raw & Alive must have been them playing a live set in the studio, the sound is very similar but not as rough.
Sky does the 'This song is dedicated to the world in general' intro to Pushing too Hard as he does on R&A. Plus you get a new song in the shape of Cloud ride.
Apparently the individual studio lps are due a remastered and extended release, which is forthcoming according to somebody on another list.

loads of live recordings as per usual.

DVDs been compiling the bunch of compis I normally go back to London with. These include
johnny thunders & Heartbreakers Max's '79
haven't really checked these out too much before. but on the strength of this set that was a major oversight. Rock & Roll in one of its better myriad forms.

Warhorse
went to add a disc I'd received as spirit Caravan and found out it was this bunch. This is possibly less Guru Guru like than their As Heaven Turns To Ash cd which I love. Lucky find this since I don't think the uploader knew what he had & I'd always dreamed of seeing them live.

Magazine on Later
missed this at the time so nice to see it yesterday. Band really do seem to be on form, though i think I could live without the chewing gum pose of the guitarist. Do like Barry Adamson's new look though.

Grateful Dead Wembley Halloween 90
Jerry's voice is absolutely shot, not sure if it's flu or the drugs or what. Somewhat detracts from the music which is prety stellar.
I don't really follow them this late but I was at the Wembley shows as it was my only chance to see them live.

Amon duul II 1975
band's appearance on a German youth show. Was watching something else while dubbing this but every time I checked back over it was in the middle of a discussion in deutsch. What music I did hear was still pretty great though & I don't know their later material.

Jackson 5 live Mexico City
The brothers are young teens by this point and this does seem pretty cool. Think I might have preferred the natty duds of the early 70s to the white disco suits though.

Fall Nottingham 82
The 2 drummer line up. Great show. Pretty visceral for static performers.

Weather report live 72
Again very visceral. this is a very early line up of the band, Vitous not Pastorius. Listening to later stuff you'd be surprised the could hit this hard. Unfortunately the whole show has JAZZ 615 printed across the middle of screen and the time bar running at bottom. Think the performance makes up for it more than somewhat though.

2x LOOP dvds Groovy heaviosity from longhaired indie types.

Max Roach live '64
awesome female vocalist in gospel style makes this even better than the instrumental band alone would.

Foetus Atlanta '90
still with the Children of God Swans band augmented by Hahn Rowe (Hugo Largo) crunchy heavy rock. westberg can be heard to rock out qite spectactularly.

several other bits & pieces I might remember later
stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index