Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Fileshare and illegally download now!

112 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3679 posts

Re: Fileshare and illegally download now!
Nov 22, 2009, 19:39
forgive me if I'm being niave here

http://www.marketingcharts.com/topics/entertainment/music-downloads-dont-offset-cd-sales-slump-281/

fair enough music sales have dropped 16%, that gap has been filled by computer games et al, the market place has changed

but that fall still leaves them with £23 billion, this is hardly chicken feed, and certainly not an industry up against the ropes, or is it? Certainly seems healthy to me

If anything the continuation of the Cowell regime should provide them with a steadier platform than say Motley Crue, there will always be a market for the latest teen pop sensation, and for every 100 who go back to singing on the club curcuit almost certainly having recouped any outlay you'll get a big star who will bring in the money

What may have to stop is 8 million advances for the likes of REM, or someone might have to tell Robbie Williams 'actually that's rubbish , do it again' the next time he makes a cd, somewhere people will suffer, much the same way I assume that with the death of vinyl a fair few people in the record pressing industry went bust, and the net means that a lot of highstreet retailers are losing out

Maybe you're right and Celine Dion will be left standing as all taste & decency goes to the wall, but I suspect that there is too much vested interest in other parts of the biz for it to go completely tits up. After all promotors have arenas to fill etc
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index