Register
Unsung Forum »
Fileshare and illegally download now!

112 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Fileshare and illegally download now!
Nov 21, 2009, 20:41
dodge one wrote:
I've pretty much given up on posting in the 'Sound-tracks of our lives' threads because, generally speaking, they read more as vanity lists to me than actual music that was purchased.
There has been many times that i read those lists by various posters and thought to myself, Isn't that the same person who was only just recently explaining his or her near poverty existance? Yet is scrolling off every week, music that if actually purchased, would amount to Hundreds of dollars? If not Thousands? And i'm talking about recent releases too.
It just doesn't add up.

Dodge, I'm intrigued, was that aimed at me? Every entry on my SOOL posts is legit, bank-busting and legally purchased. I only post once a month or so on those threads and yes, that IS the reason why I'm known as 'ming the penniless' - because I spend every spare penny on music (or DJ equipment), and have done so for the last 25 years. In short, I can't speak for anyone else, but if you were referring to me, it does actually "add up".

That's the whole thing about this debate - people see it in binary opposites - black or white - right or wrong - "crossing the line". We cannot pretend to know what goes on in people's minds when they download or buy music, and projecting or in-grouping / out-grouping or scapegoating is NOT a logical response to the millions of different circumstances behind individuals' actions. I thought psychological determinism was discredited a long time ago! I just can't agree that under any circumstance, an "illegal" download is always wrong.

Ultimately bud, we're going to have to agree to disagree, but I do totally agree with your point a few pages back that a person's view on this issue is likely to by generationally related.

Which might explain the draconian nature of the proposed law in the UK.

"First they came for the file-sharers..."

At the end of the day, I like the no.data.blogspot slogan:

"For the major labels, it's over. It's fucking over. You're going to burn to the fucking ground, and we're all going to dance around the fire."
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index