Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 27, 2009, 15:49
Bit's and pieces here and there is quite enough for me.
I have said this before, and i know it won't make me popular, but i wouldn't half mind having my CAN records remastered WITHOUT Damo's mumblings. I have likened them to the Unnesasary Bubble blowing sounds throughout the otherwise outstanding 13th Floor Elevators records. I just find it infuriatingly distracting.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Oct 27, 2009, 16:05
http://rapidshare.com/files/298090522/KTR.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/298100976/KTR.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/298104811/KTR.part3.rar

aint watched it yet, but this is probly the easiest way to download it all
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 27, 2009, 16:16
Oct 27, 2009, 16:15
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Can were very into the Velvets, too.

Also, I remember Lemmy on some radio show saying 'Tomorrow Never Knows' was the start of krautrock. He was roundly dismissed as not knowing what he was talking about, but it transpires that in fact a lot of the German musicians saw that track as the start of something new- a one chord drone, using electronics, effects and tape loops- and used it as a template for what they were trying to do.

Lemmy should know what he's talking about as of all the UK bands, Hawkwind probably had the closest link to the 'krautrock' scene, both sonically and with Dave Anderson playing in both the Hawks and Amon Duul II, and writing sleevenotes for the first Neu! LP. They also, like Amon Duul et al, had genuine links to the squat/commune/street revolutionary underground.

It's typical that people would denounce Lemmy, but I reckon he really would know what he's talking about, especially as regards to different types of music when you really think about it, i.e. all the experiences he's had, not to mention the people he's met along the way.

From his days with The Rockin' Vicars and playing places during the mid-sixties to being a roadie with Hendrix.
The Hawkind-Duul connection as you mentioned, also whilst he was in Hawkwind, they were once supported by Coum Transmissions- a link to the underground art scene.
He must have had a conversation with a young Genesis P-Orridge along the way.
'Punks' respected Motorhead and he's appeared a few times on Top Of The Pops!
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 27, 2009, 16:34
I'd also postulate that alot of that slow Throbbing groove sounds had origins in the SCI-FI movie music soundtracks going as far back as the 1930's. The Theremin was invented in the late 1920's and Hammond had a gargantuanly complex keyboard thingy called the NOVA-Chord that made all those out of this world sounds in the Frankenstein movies and such, back in the 1930's ! Electronica is nothing new, thats for sure.
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited Oct 27, 2009, 21:08
Oct 27, 2009, 21:04
I think for an hour they had the documentary makers tied the whole piece together pretty neatly. If they had gone for 90mins or more they would covered more for sure but would it have gelled as well? I kinda favour the same acts as you Neu, Can, La D, Harmonia as well as A.D, Kraftwerk, Cluster & PV so I learned nothing new but the whole thing gave me a great vibe to watch. I guess you are always gonna have your faves and whilst I recognise the historic importance of Tangerine Dream & Klause Schulze the engineer in me recognises a fellow techician in them rather than artists.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 28, 2009, 00:20
I listened to Neu! the one with the Pink cover with the words of Iggy i.e Pastoral Psychedelicism making the whole experience even more enjoyable. That and the 2nd Comus LP you used to see 2nd hand frequently for a couple of quid
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 02, 2009, 15:19
I enjoyed that. It's made me want to go back and look at some bands I've already tried and written off.

I could bung it on rapidshare or similar if anyone's interested? (Plain old standard avi no HD or anything)
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 22:43
BBC currently have a Kraftwerk / kraut radio program at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qtry4#synopsis

with Jarvis Cocker commentary
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 00:48
Boxnudger wrote:
handofdave wrote:
I don't know what's so difficult about calling it 'German rock'.

"Because that would include the Scorpions, and they suck" - J Cope

Bwahahahah!!!
Gotta' love Mr.Cope!!!
I personally fear political correctness and its goal of making us all the same by stripping us of our cultural quirks and wonderful differences more than just about anything. If it doesn't bother the musicians whose music is labelled "krautrock" it doesn't bother me. Same goes for "Japrock."
People need to lighten up a little!
ars moriendi
ars moriendi
433 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 10:43
yes please!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index