Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 26, 2009, 01:26
red paeony wrote:
I swear I wasn't hinting! I'd absolutely LOVE it, although this time I insist on sending postage, or at least a proper pack of DVR's, for your trouble.

Do you still have my addy?

I'm forever grateful ;-D x

I know your address is somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find it. Would you send it again to my email? Ta.

Seriously, don't worry about postage/DVR's.....
Fremsley
3 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 02:49
You can D/L it here:

http://www.surrealmoviez.info then search for krautrock

Its free to join and there's tons of other crazy shit.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 09:50
I'm about halfway through it and also a neophyte. My heart sank a little when the first thing they showed was some rioting students with Hendrix wailing "There must be someway outahere..." as accompaniment, but it perked up after that although the first thing to interest me musically was Neu!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2009, 10:25
Oct 26, 2009, 10:14
Lord Lucan wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Clearly there's a little bitterness that Cluster never got the fiscal rewards that ol'Brian did.

Missed this doc, but gonna watch it on iplayer later.

Anyway, if Cluster's beef is about Eno's sales compared to themselves, surely it'd be a bit churlish. After all, the fact that Eno had done two albums with Cluster is what turned me onto them in the first place. This was way before the Krautrocksampler days, and Eno's involvement was all I had to go on to recommend them. I doubt I'm the only one who bought Cluster albums on the strength of the connection. So, if anything, it was Eno who introduced Cluster to a UK audience. Still, I can't imagine Dieter Moebius producing the next Coldplay album. Thank fuck.

According to the anecdote it was Eno who raised the issue of money with them. The "don't worry you'll be as rich as me one day" thing.

From what I know the bitterness of people who work with Eno, Bowie, Byrne (and many other genius self-promoters of our age) is less the money than the fact that they have their work co-opted and then re-presented and represented to the world as the original thoughts of the Rock genius in question.

If Eno and Bowie are the Picassos and Dalis of rock n roll then then the likes of Cluster et al are the Joseph Beuys and the Gerhard Richter. It's good to have both and history will be the judge of merit.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 10:21
keith a wrote:
Stevo wrote:

as is 'bring on the empty horses' the other volume.

Yeah, that one's pretty good, too.

Never heard Mac acknowledge this title having a very similar title to a certain E&TB 45 though!!

I wondered that too.

Although I do remember seeing something odd on a TV show once, where late comedian Peter Cook was sitting around with E&TB and poking fun at said title- saying it sounded really camp (or words to that effect).

;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2009, 10:33
E.L. Wisty & The Bunnymen
Oct 26, 2009, 10:32
It started to bug me, so I did a search and found THIS...

(my memory scares me sometimes!)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 11:07
Toni Torino wrote:
I'm about halfway through it and also a neophyte. My heart sank a little when the first thing they showed was some rioting students with Hendrix wailing "There must be someway outahere..." as accompaniment, but it perked up after that although the first thing to interest me musically was Neu!

One thing that the Docu didn't mention, was the overall effect early Pink Floyd had on all the german folk involved.
I remember reading interviews in the UK music weeklies with the likes of Tangerine Dream's Edgar Froese and other interviews with members of Can etc., whereby they would say how much everyone involved in the german underground scene, was bowled over with the first 4 PF albums and how it appeared to be a 'new' type of music which could go off in different directions.
But I suppose they want to win fans in this day and age and not turn some people off!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2009, 11:11
Oct 26, 2009, 11:11
Lord Lucan wrote:
Watched it earlier. Was a good primer for neophytes, though as with all programmes like this, the detail and new info for those who've been interested for some time was pretty thin on the ground. Only to be expected though, I suppose. If nothing else, it was worth watching for the moment where you're forced to contemplate David Niven witnessing Can's first gig with Damo as vocalist.

That David Niven anecdote was awesome. And it transpired he liked it!

Next week: George Sanders bigs-up Merzbow!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: E.L. Wisty & The Bunnymen
Oct 26, 2009, 11:51
his music show Revolver was pretty good too.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 11:57
Yeah been surprised by seeing some people on various lists dismiss similarities between Pink Floyd and the Deutsche stuff. Thionk it's pretty audible in some early lps. Tangerine Dream and Can possibly most obviously..

also wondering what significance SF bands especially the Grateful Dead had. Do think the German shows on the '72 tour were very well attended. Can certainly hear similarities between full flight pre-retirement Dead and Krautrock.
Also hear other Sf influence in things like Amon Duul II, agitation free, GAA among others.
Stevo
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index