Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 25, 2009, 23:35
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Seems the German bands have grudgingly come to live with it.

Thing is, I reckon whatever the term had been they'd have had objections, because it implies there was a unified alternative scene in Germany at the time, which there certainly wasn't. It was all over the place geographically and a lot of the bands didn't even know of each other's existence at the time. Then if you think of it in terms of definition of a sound, it's not very useful either: Cluster and Amon Duul II or Klaus Schulze and Faust have got fuck-all in common sonically really. It comes down to labelling things and journalists genrefying everything, which has always got up musicians' noses.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 23:40
Watched it earlier. Was a good primer for neophytes, though as with all programmes like this, the detail and new info for those who've been interested for some time was pretty thin on the ground. Only to be expected though, I suppose. If nothing else, it was worth watching for the moment where you're forced to contemplate David Niven witnessing Can's first gig with Damo as vocalist.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2009, 12:25
Oct 25, 2009, 23:50
Lord Lucan wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Seems the German bands have grudgingly come to live with it.

Thing is, I reckon whatever the term had been they'd have had objections, because it implies there was a unified alternative scene in Germany at the time, which there certainly wasn't. It was all over the place geographically and a lot of the bands didn't even know of each other's existence at the time. Then if you think of it in terms of definition of a sound, it's not very useful either: Cluster and Amon Duul II or Klaus Schulze and Faust have got fuck-all in common sonically really. It comes down to labelling things and journalists genrefying everything, which has always got up musicians' noses.

Pretty much all the German bands of the time really had in common musically was a love of improvisation and a penchant for legnthy 20-minute tracks, and that certainly wasn't unique either to Germany or to rock music at the time (if Miles Davis had been German, "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches' Brew" would probably have been labelled as krautrock, and there are others like the Plastic People of the Universe who weren't German but have clear similarities with some of the Krautrock bands in both sound and attitude).

Of all the interviews with German musicians that I've read, the only one to have gone on record as taking exception to the krautrock term was Ralf Hutter. He claimed that it was a purely English idiom and compared it to sauerkraut only ever being sold for, and bought by, English tourists in Germany.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2009, 23:58
Oct 25, 2009, 23:58
Lord Lucan wrote:
If nothing else, it was worth watching for the moment where you're forced to contemplate David Niven witnessing Can's first gig with Damo as vocalist.

Ha! That was a strange moment of the doc

His autobiography titled- "The Moon's A Balloon" - always struck me as having a sort of Krautrock style title.

I could imagine that being a title on a Can, Faust or Amon Duul II album ;-D
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 00:07
I swear I wasn't hinting! I'd absolutely LOVE it, although this time I insist on sending postage, or at least a proper pack of DVR's, for your trouble.

Do you still have my addy?

I'm forever grateful ;-D x
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 00:12
Hiya Sweets,

Himself doesn't have a recorder thingy to put it on DVR's that play here in the US.

Grrrrr!
keith a
9565 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2009, 00:21
Oct 26, 2009, 00:20
Jim Tones wrote:

His autobiography titled- "The Moon's A Balloon" - always struck me as having a sort of Krautrock style title.

And what a great book it is, too!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 00:23
keith a wrote:
Jim Tones wrote:

Absolutely!

....and a proper chap

;-D
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 00:26
keith a wrote:
Jim Tones wrote:

as is 'bring on the empty horses' the other volume.
keith a
9565 posts

Oct 26, 2009, 00:32
Stevo wrote:

as is 'bring on the empty horses' the other volume.

Yeah, that one's pretty good, too.

Never heard Mac acknowledge this title having a very similar title to a certain E&TB 45 though!!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index