Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2009, 19:01
Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 25, 2009, 18:39
It seems that use of this language has no real defined rules, then, just unspoken agreements as to what's accepted and what's not?

Forgive me for offering this example, LL, but would you shrug it off if a genre were dubbed 'faggot rock?'

Maybe Europeans are less hung up*? In America, the unspoken rule is that epithets are shrugged off if they're used by one member of a group to another, but using them to describe someone from outside of your own group is heavily frowned on. The white comic who played 'Kramer' on the Seinfeld show used the N word in an act one night and it still haunts him. Our latest Supreme Court justice appointee made a statement about how she'd be more valuable (in terms of judging on certain cases) as a Latino woman than a white man and that created a huge stink with white Republicans.

*about some aspects of this issue, anyway
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 20:41
"THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY DUE TO COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS."

Bastards!

I can't find it anywhere.

*sniffle*
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Re: Converting i-player files to non DRM content
Oct 25, 2009, 21:27
Thanks for that just got the torrent from the site and about to try & download it. Will have to look around that site very interesting stuff...kinda like the Dime of the TV world
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 21:28
see Vince's post above re:-Converting i-player files to non DRM content. Yo can download it if you know about torrents
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 22:14
handofdave wrote:
It seems that use of this language has no real defined rules, then, just unspoken agreements as to what's accepted and what's not?

Forgive me for offering this example, LL, but would you shrug it off if a genre were dubbed 'faggot rock?'

Maybe Europeans are less hung up*? In America, the unspoken rule is that epithets are shrugged off if they're used by one member of a group to another, but using them to describe someone from outside of your own group is heavily frowned on. The white comic who played 'Kramer' on the Seinfeld show used the N word in an act one night and it still haunts him. Our latest Supreme Court justice appointee made a statement about how she'd be more valuable (in terms of judging on certain cases) as a Latino woman than a white man and that created a huge stink with white Republicans.

*about some aspects of this issue, anyway

There is a subgenre of punk rock known as Queercore, though I think that was coined by participating bands like Pansy Division for confrontational reasons.

Didn't music journos, around the same time as inventing the term 'krautrock,' also try to label Lou Reed, Bowie etc as 'Fag Rock.'? Just less enlightened times, I guess. Seems the German bands have grudgingly come to live with it.

While I respect the points you're making though, I think the comparisons with "N****R" as a term, are way out of proportion and the thing about the supreme court judge irrelevant to the matter at hand, really.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2009, 22:39
Oct 25, 2009, 22:33
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
While I respect the points you're making though, I think the comparisons with "N****R" as a term, are way out of proportion and the thing about the supreme court judge irrelevant to the matter at hand, really.

I just want people to think about their assumptions.

I've heard on these very boards people decry the use of the word 'Paki' and then turn around and defend 'Kraut'.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 22:43
handofdave wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I just want people to think about their assumptions.

I've heard on these very boards people decry the use of the word 'Paki' and then turn around and defend 'Kraut'.

Ah... but this is the United Kingdom of Double Standards.... so it's ok

heh! heh!

;-o
vince
vince
1628 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 23:06
red paeony wrote:
"THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY DUE TO COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS."

Bastards!

I can't find it anywhere.

*sniffle*

Want me to send you one Ms P?
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 23:24
handofdave wrote:

It's happened with Queercore, as Hunter pointed out. Fine with that, as it's an affirmative definition. Context is all. If it's used in a derogatory way it's not good (as in the example of Bowie et al being written off that way), but those who talk about Krautrock aren't doing it that way at all. The opposite in fact. Still, I've called Krautrock 'German Psychedelic Music' before, when I've been talking to someone who wouldn't know what Krautrock is. But at 8 syllables to Krautrock's 2, it's not very snappy.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Oct 25, 2009, 23:34
Buggeration! Tis unfair! Hate to rub it in as it were but it really was one of the most interesting pieces of television I've seen all year - get himself to record it for you!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index