Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 24, 2009, 17:18
Can't beleive how wonderfully done this was.
Thought it'd follow the usual commentary from other muscian/fans then footage of some kind.
The exploration of the social context was excellent, but at an hour I feel the programme was a bit too short.
Marvelllous stuff.

x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 17:21
Re: the acceptability of the 'krautrock' term: record shopping in Berlin a couple of years ago, it seemed common for German record shops to have a 'krautrock' section, suggesting that they a) accept the term and b) that they use it to signify something more specific than just rock music of German origin.

Anyway, off to find the show on the I Player!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2009, 17:26
Oct 24, 2009, 17:26
Jim Tones wrote:
handofdave wrote:

Biggest example is probably 'Indians', which of course came out of Columbus's erroneous belief he'd landed on the western coast of that subcontinent.

That's some faulty compass he had there!.... maybe the chap up in the Crow's Nest had too much rum!

=8-I

Ah, but the Earth was flat in those days...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 17:36
sanshee wrote:
Can't beleive how wonderfully done this was.
Thought it'd follow the usual commentary from other muscian/fans then footage of some kind.
The exploration of the social context was excellent, but at an hour I feel the programme was a bit too short.
Marvelllous stuff.

x

I thought it could have been longer too, but I'd guess the budget wasn't made available for a two-hour doc. My only mild reservations were that I thought it was a pity Malcolm Mooney wasn't interviewed as well as Damo, because I get the impression that the former's time in Germany was pretty colourful from the little I know (apparently he only ended up there in the first place because he was on the run from the draft).

Also, it's a shame Klaus Dinger wasn't around to give his side of the Neu! saga, but that can't be helped ... and being the curmudgeon he was he'd probably have refused to be interviewed anyway.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 16:26
Oct 24, 2009, 17:40
Fitter Stoke wrote:
No, I sensed that too. I thought it a little unfair for them to imply that the creative influences were only one way, mind. After all, Eno had already created 'Discreet' Music' and 'Music For Films' at that point. I love both Cluster & Eno albums and think both parties inspired each other mutually.

Clearly there's a little bitterness that Cluster never got the fiscal rewards that ol'Brian did.

I got a slight sense of that, but it didn't seem to be a huge bone of contention anymore.

I did think Wolfgang Flur seemed a trifle crazed, though - his speech and body language seemed very over-animated, almost as though he were a bi-polar person in the midst of a manic episode. Judging by his autobiography there's still major overhanging bitterness between him and the Ralf/Florian axis.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 21:21
Being an admirer of much of this music but not really knowing too much, I got a decent enough direction from it.

And who was it that commneted about the post-war situation, where ex-Nazi doctors or teachers etc out of sheer necessity had to go back to businnes as usual in order to keep civilization ticking over!

I watched it again this afternoon.

:-)
x
keith a
9570 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 21:36
The Tangerine Dream Coventry Cathedral gig was featured very briefly. I'm not particularly a TD fan but I enjoyed that at the time. It would be nice to see that again.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 22:16
wondered if it was in circulation.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 22:18
not sure who that was at the end standing next to a window with a poster in + commenting on krautrock being listed. do know that the location was in Germany. was it Berlin?
Bov
Bov
181 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 22:32
Just watched it on iplayer. Great programme.

I just was left feeling what a wonderfully happy and humble bunch of hairy old farts they all still all. Well... those that were interviewed anyway. Gawd bless em.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index