Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 24, 2009, 13:55
It's extremely complicated sometimes, especially when a culture uses terms coined by other cultures in reference to themselves.

Biggest example is probably 'Indians', which of course came out of Columbus's erroneous belief he'd landed on the western coast of that subcontinent. Supposedly 'Native Americans' is the preferred term, but even that is European in origin! So many have just simply fallen back on 'Indian' as a general term, and more specifically their original tribe's names.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 14:02
handofdave wrote:

Biggest example is probably 'Indians', which of course came out of Columbus's erroneous belief he'd landed on the western coast of that subcontinent.

That's some faulty compass he had there!.... maybe the chap up in the Crow's Nest had too much rum!

=8-I
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 14:11
Popel Vooje wrote:
Indeed it was excellent. My favourite extract was Renate Knaup reminiscencing about going on tour and returning home to find Andreas Baader sleeping in her bed, and Ulrike Meinhof in Chris Karrer's ("Goldilocks and the Three Terrorists", anyone?.) I also thought it was amusing that both Damo Suzuki and Faust's Jean-Herve Peron admitted they'd smoked so much dope in the early '70s that they could barely remember them at all!

Oh yeah, the Baader-Meinof stories were wild!

That clip with Duul's John Weinzierl, when he said something to the tune of....

"...so Andreas says 'you are all not doing enough'....

.....so they went and blew a building up!.."

=8-[ ]
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 14:19
Stevo wrote:

think there was stuff there I certainly hadn't seen before. the Amon Duul II live in concert for one, and footage of early 70s faust for another. Do wonder if more of that Faust stuff exists.
Also the '71 kraftwerk in b+w which presumably comes from the same programme I have 2 Can numbers from.

enjoyed programme greatly, hope I can get a copy. Need to look into my recording set up cos I've given up on it after too many failures.
shame there was nop krautrock at the Beeb following it, like there normally seems to be after similar programmes. wonder how much Krautrock at the beeb footage there actually is? Presumably they did have several of these bands on OGWT or similar when they could.
stevo

I hadn't seen the Amon Duul in concert clip before.
I'd seen a bit of the early Kraftwerk- but as regards OGWT, I think only Can appeared in the studio, the clips that are on the Can DVD ('Vernal Equinox' etc.), although there could have been some 'on location' footage-

It's such a shame that there wasn't some more 'complete' footage and just generally whole concerts/gigs done at the time etc. - they may be out there
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Converting i-player files to non DRM content
Oct 24, 2009, 14:22
You guessed I wanna download this prog and convert it to video file so that I can watch anytime. Googled a few sites but still not seen a definite solution. BTW I understand why they use DRM and The I-player is great but what annoys me is that it times out after x weeks
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 14:26
A very beautiful doc and there was too many favourite moments to list. Was I the only one to detect a bitterness from the Cluster guys towards Eno?
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2009, 14:43
Oct 24, 2009, 14:42
rojo wrote:
A very beautiful doc and there was too many favourite moments to list. Was I the only one to detect a bitterness from the Cluster guys towards Eno?

Any bitterness must have largely dissipated, if any bitterness was had at all. These likeable musicians seem to have a calm and transcendental demeanour anyway, as otherwise their music would not be the music we hear.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 16:11
LOVED watching that last night, and the Kraftwerk performance afterwards; well worth having to put Peep Show on plus one! Didn't know a massive amount about Krautrock but now feel sufficiently enlightened - what a top bunch of blokes (and ladies)!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 17:03
No, I sensed that too. I thought it a little unfair for them to imply that the creative influences were only one way, mind. After all, Eno had already created 'Discreet' Music' and 'Music For Films' at that point. I love both Cluster & Eno albums and think both parties inspired each other mutually.

Clearly there's a little bitterness that Cluster never got the fiscal rewards that ol'Brian did.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Krautrock -
Oct 24, 2009, 17:06
By the way, I'm surprised that the Drude never had a mention on the programme, seeing as he's done more than anyone to promote the genre. And there was a bit too much political-correctness-in-hindsight going down with the disparaging comments about the term 'Krautrock'. The back cover of Julian's book puts all of that to rest, surely - but I suspect that no-one behind the programme has ever seen it.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index