Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sun Of Bytch
Sun Of Bytch
143 posts

Re: Krautrock:The Re-birth of Germany- Youtube taster!
Oct 24, 2009, 10:25
I tried to watch the video from the link but it is forbidden in my country (the U-S-A).
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2009, 12:05
Oct 24, 2009, 12:03
handofdave wrote:
Does it strike anyone as ironic that on several other threads we're blasting the BNP and yet still using the term 'Krautrock'? And 'Japrock' is another one slung 'round these parts, too, even tho both derive from WW2-era epithets?

Where do you draw the line though?

ok the 'P' word and the 'N' word have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere and I believe 'jap' is a derogatory term in the US and now some are saying 'kraut', even Jaki Leibezeit on said programme seemed against it, albeit with a smirk on his face-
It was the folk of the UK that put food on his table! =8-o

Why not drop the term 'Welsh'- as it comes from an old Saxon word 'wealhas'- which ironically means 'foreigner' -the feckin' cheek of it.... the germanic language was foreign to the british isles!

(y'see h.o.d., I like to mention the Welsh a lot as it really pisses people off secretly!) ;-D
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2009, 12:22
Oct 24, 2009, 12:18
Top notch programme indeed!

It will probably be on YouTube soon, as I noticed that 'Synth Brittannia' is up there.

Some amazing footage of the protests in Germany in 1968- some quite shocking scenes.

Excellent footage of Amon Duul II, Popol Vuh, Cluster etc. eventhough some were 'blink and you'll miss 'em' clips.

The best bit for me was Faust i.e. a recent Jean-Herve and Zappi in the clip of them doing an improv with Percussion, Microphone and Cement Mixer, almost as good as the one involving some Farmyard Machine and a Yardbrush!

;-D
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2009, 17:28
Oct 24, 2009, 12:35
Indeed it was excellent. My favourite extract was Renate Knaup reminiscing about going on tour and returning home to find Andreas Baader sleeping in her bed, and Ulrike Meinhof in Chris Karrer's ("Goldilocks and the Three Terrorists", anyone?) I also thought it was amusing that both Damo Suzuki and Faust's Jean-Herve Peron admitted they'd smoked so much dope in the early '70s that they could barely remember them at all!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 12:35
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
It was a beautiful little programme, I liked Iggy's description 'A pastoral psychedelia' to fit in with the metaphor of the flow of the river. Not a definitive analysis by any means, but it achieved a lot in one hour.

.... and all the better for leaving it to the musicians themselves (and the music) to do the talking. Would love to have heard from the likes of Moroder, Terry Riley, Larry Levan and Arhtur Baker et al but you can't have everything.
common era
865 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 12:36
Great show, really enjoyed it. Some great archive clips and I think the whole experimental ethos and how far advanced it was at that time came across very well. Hopefully it will be on again at some point soon.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 12:42
common era wrote:
Great show, really enjoyed it. Some great archive clips and I think the whole experimental ethos and how far advanced it was at that time came across very well. Hopefully it will be on again at some point soon.

BBC4 usually do repeat their music docus at least once, don't they? Will have to remember to record it next time if they do.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 12:59
great stuff ...!

(((charrr)))
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 13:07
Jim Tones wrote:
Top notch programme indeed!

It will probably be on YouTube soon, as I noticed that 'Synth Brittannia' is up there.

Some amazing footage of the protests in Germany in 1968- some quite shocking scenes.

Excellent footage of Amon Duul II, Popol Vuh, Cluster etc. eventhough some were 'blink and you'll miss 'em' clips.

The best bit for me was Faust i.e. a recent Jean-Herve and Zappi in the clip of them doing an improv with Percussion, Microphone and Cement Mixer, almost as good as the one involving some Farmyard Machine and a Yardbrush!

;-D

think there was stuff there I certainly hadn't seen before. the Amon Duul II live in concert for one, and footage of early 70s faust for another. Do wonder if more of that Faust stuff exists.
Also the '71 kraftwerk in b+w which presumably comes from the same programme I have 2 Can numbers from.

enjoyed programme greatly, hope I can get a copy. Need to look into my recording set up cos I've given up on it after too many failures.
shame there was nop krautrock at the Beeb following it, like there normally seems to be after similar programmes. wonder how much Krautrock at the beeb footage there actually is? Presumably they did have several of these bands on OGWT or similar when they could.
stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 24, 2009, 13:08
Popel Vooje wrote:
common era wrote:

BBC4 usually do repeat their music docus at least once, don't they? Will have to remember to record it next time if they do.

my tv guide from the cable channel has it repeated tonight sometime around 11.30.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index