Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE

36 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE
Oct 12, 2009, 15:51
thesweetcheat wrote:

Echo & The Bunnymen - "Pictures on My Wall"/"Read It In Books"; "Rescue"/"Simple Stuff" - classic early singles, putting the new album (out tomorrow) in a pretty poor light I expect

That first Bunnymen single really is a classic. Was never so keen on Rescue - always thought the chorus was a bit limp. Not played the b-sides in a long time, but I liked them a lot back then.

Anyway,here's mine (with E&TB included!)...

FIVE LEAVES LEFT – Nick Drake
Played in tribute to Robert Kirby. Some of the finest string arrangements I've ever heard.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE – Echo & the Bunnymen
I played this after its recent mentions next door. Quite unremarkable in some ways – it sounds more like a Mac solo set in that Will Sergeant sadly seems to be very much in the background - but seeing as there’s some decent songs it’s pretty enjoyable all the same.

SMACK – The Neon Judgement
Latest LP from pounding Belgian underground act. And on one play it sounds really good!

BRINGING HOME THE ASHES – Wild Swans
The Worst Year Of My Life is achingly beautiful.

FEVER TO TELL / SHOW YOUR BONES - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The debut LP, FTT, is sounding really good these days. It’s been great hearing Date With The Night again. Great track! I thought SYB was a bit disappointing at the time, but it proved to be a bit of a grower. Hearing it now I’m not sure again - it sounds a bit patchy again, but there’s some really good tracks like Deja Vu and the single Gold Lion.

THE MAN MACHINE – V/A
Rather good cd with this month’s Mojo. Nice to have things like Slow Motion (Ultravox!) on cd, and there’s some good stuff I hadn’t heard before.

NOW HEAR THIS 79: V/A
Free cd with the Sept edition of The Word mag, but only just got round to playing it. Being a cricket lover and a fan of The Divine Comedy, I had already listened out for Neil Hannon’s cricket related The Duckworth Lewis Method so had already heard The Age Of Revolution. Good fun, too - must get the LP! Stackridge are little more than a name from the distance past to me (albeit one with a Julian connection!) – I can’t even tell you the last time I’d heard them, but gotta say I’m pretty impressed with the track here (Long Dark River). Very relaxed and under-stated, and lovely bass playing. And the tracks by The Panics, Soulsavers, etc, are really good. I must admit I don’t always bother playing these magazine cd’s these days, but I’m glad I played this one.

Also
SING OTHER PEOPLE – Angels Of Light
NO MORE INVENTION – Gunslingers
GET COLOUR – Health
AMRITA – Loop Guru
WHY DON’T YOU GIVE IT TO ME? - Nathaniel Mayer
YES – Pet Shop Boys
OUTSIDE LOVE - Pink Mountaintops
PRETTY IN BLACK - The Raveonettes
VEGA / REV (2nd ALBUM) – Suicide
READ & BURN / READ & BURN 2 – Wire
Topic Outline: