Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE

36 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 October 2009 CE
Oct 11, 2009, 17:09
Mahler 2 (Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw), 3 (Georg Solti/Chicago SO), 6 (Gary Bertini/North German RSO), 7 (Kurt Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus) and 9 (Leonard Bernstein/Berlin PO): I'm on a major Mahler thing at the moment, not sure why: maybe I'm getting the season-change blues. Whatever, I've loved all of these superb recordings, especially the doom-laden Sixth and Ninth: wow;

Kiss 'Sonic Boom' - wherein our heroes get back to doing what they do better then anyone else: prime, sexist, dumb-assed rock and roll at its cliched best, and with a real 70's vibe that shows that they've left their big-haired 80's and 90's mediocrity behind them. This is their best record since 'Love Gun' IMHO;

Mark Knopfler 'Kill To Get Crimson' - typically laid back collection from Cullercoats' finest with just enough heart and soul to cut through the technical perfection. £3 from a dump bin in Sainsbury's: a bargain;

Paul McCartney 'McCartney' and 'Ram' - Macca's first solo outings still sound good after nearly four decades, despite their cosy domestic vibe. The man's never been in such rude vocal form since and there are some class tunes in evidence here, such as 'Maybe I'm Amazed' and 'Back Seat Of My Car'. I went on to play 'Wildlife' as well, but the less said about that the better. Ugh;

Tangerine Dream 'Cyclone' - unfairly maligned first foray into vocal music from the Tangs, featuring in 'Bent Cold Sidewalk' a progressive rock epic of the highest calibre. Great to hear Edgar Froese rock out on guitar again as well. Okay, 'Zeit' it ain't, but this satisfies on its own very different terms;

The Unthanks 'Here's The Tender Coming' - still welded to my CD tray is this marvellous fresh slice of north east folk rock. I could listen to vocals this good for days on end;

Erroll Garner 'Up In Erroll's Room' - one of jazz's most individual pianists at his best with a funky horn section boosting the terminal toe-tapping factor. Wonderful.

Chopin Preludes (Tamás Vásáry) - a lovely way to end a hard day.

Take care out there

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index