58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 06, 2009, 18:31
A Place To Bury Strangers- S/T

A Place To Bury Strangers- Exploding Head. Yep, I know they're basically just plundering My Bloody Valentine, the Mary Chain and The Cure, but this album has really got under my skin. There are some great furious noises and extremely catchy songs beneath. Not big or clever, but loud and fun!

The Sisters of Transistors- At the Ferranti Institute. Groovy ladies organ combo from Manc, under the direction of 808 State's Graham Massey: another fun record, that reminds me a little of the late, lamented Electrelane.

Various artists- Ghana Special: modern highlife, afro-sounds and Ghanaian blues, 1968-81. Excellent new 2 CD comp of the same, for pretending it's still summer.

Paul McCartney- Memory Almost Full. I just got round to listening to this for the first time, purely from curiousity, and do you know what, I really enjoyed it! Catchy Macca tunes a given, but scmaltz avoided- it sounds quite lo-fi almost and I like the rather melancholy, backward-looking subject matter. In fact, if someone had told me this was a new XTC record I might have believed them.

Kathy Acker- Pussy. Intellectual and erotic spoken word.
David Bowie- Lodger. Very under-rated and misunderstood album.
Iggy Pop- Lust for Life. Obvious and highly rated but kinda still under-rated. Especially 'Some Weird Sin.' This is solid gold Iggy Pop pop!

Excelsior!

HTW
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index