58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2009, 13:46
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 04, 2009, 13:39
Magazine 'Play +' - newly remastered and expanded live album now featuring two shows from 1978 and 1980. The earlier gig is particularly ace, capturing the 'Real Life' line up as that epochal debut was released. Most of that album is featured, songs like 'The Light Pours Out Of Me' and 'Burst' gaining from the added edge of live performance, and Devoto's inter-song asides are entertaining in their willfully obtuse manner. The 1980 gig, featuring the short-lived Robin Simon line-up, is also very fine. Fans shouldn't hesitate;

The Unthanks 'Here's The Tender Coming' - superb record: the best traditional music album I've heard in years. The epic tragedy 'Annachie Gordon' is worth the price of admission alone, fine as the whole package is. I can't stop playing this;

The Beatles 'The Beatles' - In the mini-documentary that accompanies the stereo remaster, Ringo speaks of how playing on the White Album felt like being part of a band again after the studio shenanigans of 'Pepper'. Funny that, given that the album seems to be a collection of solo tracks, many either unaccompanied or featuring only part of the band, sometimes augmented by other musicians. Whatever, it's a (mostly) great double album featuring pretty much every musical genre known to man, and Macca is particularly inspired here, as is George Harrison ('Long, Long, Long' having blown me away for the first time in its remastered glory). And how fascinated I was to recently learn that the closing 'Good Night' is a Lennon creation, the song bearing all the hallmarks of McCartney at his smalztiest. You live and learn. 'Revolution 9' sounds much better in mono than stereo, by the way!

Gong 'Flying Teapot', 'Angel's Egg' and 'You' - collectively the epitome of one of the most creative, mesmerising and exciting bands ever, the 'Radio Gnome' trilogy remains the main reason why I love Gong. It's fascinating to hear the development of the band across the three albums, particularly the increasing domination of percussion - and Steve Hillage's stellar lead guitar work - in the sound picture. That both of those elements are now considerably less prominent probably explains my continued disappointment with the new album;

John Coltrane 'Lush Life' - five wonderfully mellow tracks from the legendary tenor man's underrated Prestige catalogue. Lovely;

Rattle/BPO 'Brahms Symphonies' - I'm afraid that I'm underwhelmed by this. The Third and Fourth symphonies are stillborn here, nothing really happens in the First (though the finale is well paced) and only the Second - shawn of its vital first movement exposition repeat, alas - has any distinction. The Berlin Philharmonic seem to have lost the weighty, sumptuous sound they enjoyed under Karajan and (to a lesser extent) Abbado and now sound like just another orchestra, though I don't think the gloopy recorded sound helps here. As for Rattle, I reckon that his interpretive strengths lie with 20th century composers rather than the great romantics, his VPO Beethoven cycle being similarly unremarkable IMHO (though I do like his Ninth). My allegiance to Giulini, Bernstein, Walter, Jochum, Karajan and Klemperer (to name but a few) in this repertoire remains. Sorry Simon.

And that's me for another week. Good health and good listening, all.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index