58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2009, 12:48
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 04, 2009, 11:21
Haven't posted for ages but these ring bells for one reason or another recently...

The good....

JAH WOBBLE - I Could Have Been A Contender (3CD comp) -For the princely sum of £6 pretty much all the Wobble i need. Some terrific collaborations on here.

GOLDFRAPP - Supernature - Ooh la la, Madame Alison gets a bit rude.

HARVEY MILK - Live At Supersonic 2008 - Only managed to catch half their set on the night so was chuffed to stumble across this. Heavy shit man.

SLEEP - Sleep's Holy Mountain - Really, really heavy shit. Riffage puts me in mind of a mammoth thats crawled out of a tar-pit. Lyrics make me laugh tho' and i'm not really sure if that's the intention.

THE HEADS - Tilburg - Sounds even weightier on vinyl, nice !

THE HEADS - Time In Space Vol 2 (2CD) - Haven't heard vol 1 but the first CD here collected from material through their surprisingly long existence is pretty fab. The single 40+ minute track on CD2 is much harder work though and i kinda lost interest after 20 minutes or so. Er, which according to the sleeve notes makes me a bit of a dick, hehe.

WOODEN SHJIPS - Contact - Hmm, hypnogroovy. Or, we've gotta schtick and we're gonna use it.

MUGSTAR - Today Is The Wrong Shape (EP) - Brutal and a wee bit proggy, their cover of Fairport's Tam Lin is a wonderfully incongruous thing.

V/A - Seeing For Miles - Freebie CD with Uncut, like its forerunner, Comets and Ghosts, this is a bit of an eye opener with more than a few bands on it i'd like to hear more by.

The OK....

GONG -2032 - Feel a bit churlish describing it merely as OK but some of its just a bit lumpen and lacks the deft lightness of touch i kinda associate with Gong. That said, it's much better than their other recentish releases and i do like the story / concept, the humour and the vibe and have particularly enjoyed Gilli Smyth's contributions on the first few plays. Guess they set the bar so high back in the day that disappointment was kinda inevitable for me personally. Oh, and there should be a law against the naff but catchy violin part in Dance With The Pixies, get out of my head why dontcha !

The ugly....

NEKTAR - A Tab In The Ocean - Not my kinda prog at all and about as psychedelic as a premier league footballer on a night out on the piss.

Happy listening everyone,

mark x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index