Muddy Waters - "Forty Days & Forty Nights"
Billy Lee Riley - "Rock With Me Baby"
The Coasters - "Searchin'"
The Del-Vikings - "Come Go With Me"
Larry Williams - "Dizzy Miss Lizzy"

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited LP; "Girl From the North Country"
The Move - "I Can Hear The Grass Grow"
The Beatles - Revolver & Sgt Pepper [mono remasters]

Alvin Lucier - I Am Sitting In A Room. Experimental tapery, better dissected by Paul Morley than I can manage.

Brain Eno - Before & After Science LP. Pop-Eno post Low and Heroes.

Buzcocks - A Different Kind Of Tension [remastered DCD]. Containing some of Buzzcocks' meatiest and angstiest material, "Hollow Inside", "I Believe" being particularly doubting.

Gang of Four - Entertainment! LP; Solid Gold LP; Another Day Another Dollar mini-LP; "Second Life" 7" - preludes to the gig on Saturday.

Delta 5 - "Mind Your Own Business"/"You"/"Try" 7"s - six terrific tracks spread over the three singles. Sadly neglected (compared to, say, The Slits).

The Jam - "The Butterfly Collector" - the fact that Weller could afford to throw away one of his best ever songs on a b-side tells you a great deal about The Jam. Most people (including Weller himself these days) would kill to write a sing this good in their entire career.

Magazine - Correct Use of Soap LP; "My Mind Ain't So Open" - a few Magazine t-shirts in evidence at Go4 on Saturday. Good to see!

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate LP, still getting to know this one, train journey to London seemed a good time to give it another listen, along with Mad Not Mad LP and "Day On The Town" (from 7) and "Primrose Hill" (from The Rise & Fall).

Harold Budd - Lovely Thunder LP.

New Model Army - Today Is A Good Day new album still getting plenty of plays.

And live - Gang of Four (HMV Forum, London). New bass player, new drummer since I last saw them, but terrific gig. Good mixed audience, plenty of young kids in attendance. Although they advertised the show as "Entertainment!" it wasn't - a few songs off the album didn't get an airing, but instead we got an excellent set list across their first three albums and three songs I didn't know, which means they're either new or off Mall (which I haven't got) or possibly Shrinkwrapped (which I haven't listened to as much as I should). Brilliant versions of "What We All Want", "Paralysed", "Damaged Goods", "Tourist", "We Live As We Dream, Alone", etc and a spot of microwave bashing/throwing, several encores, great gig!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index