Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 14:49
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE
Sep 28, 2009, 14:47
Gong - 2032
As mentioned in my reply to Fitter above, I've been completely blown away by this. It took me right back to the time (over 35 years ago) when I first heard the Gong trilogy, which shaped my musical development from then on. It has been bringing me little chunks of joy all week. It nearly brought tears to my eyes to hear the sound of Hillage back with them, despite the fact there are only a few flashes of his trademark sound scattered across this. I love the lyrics and sentiments expressed too - it seems such a positive record.

Muse - Resistance
If it hadn't been for Gong, this would have been on continuously! Not popular around here I know, but I love them. Follows similar themes to 2032 oddly - aliens coming to earth, standing up against the corporate powers and all the rest of it.

Sunn O)))/Boris - Altar
Got the CD of this to compliment my (badly pressed) vinyl. This is my favourite of the recent Sunn O)) output. Very very heavy in places, but with some suprisingly light touches.

David Sylvian - Manafon
Still disappointing me despite my efforts to get in about it. Can't help thinking that this is a less successful version of Blemish. And it really does sound in places like he is singing his songs seperately over the top of the impro backing, rather than listening to the accompaniment and working with it.

Tangerine Dream - Bootleg Box Set Vol 1
This week I've been hitting the Bilbao and Berlin recordings. The Berlin one is the shortest of the CDs in the box at just over half an hour, which is a shame because it is a good recording. Large parts of the Bilbao recordings are spoiled by what sounds like someone clapping out of time, which is a pity because behind that it sounds like a good set.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index