44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2009, 01:12
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE
Sep 28, 2009, 00:09
UNPLUGGED – David Bowie
The joviality at times might be off-putting for some folk (abruptly ending The Supermen doesn’t help either!), but there’s a cracking version of Quicksand and Dead Man Walking works surprisingly well as an acoustic number.

HEATHEN FRONTIERS IN SOUND - Christophe F
There’s a couple of numbers (track one included) that I like a LOT.

INTERVIEW – Gentle Giant
My fave prog act by a country mile, and this one is a real gem. Sure they get a bit carried away and some of it could probably be described as, well, preposterous, but you never feel that GG are just wanting to show us how great their musicianship is. And unlike a lot of prog, there’s nothing sterile about this. And as daft as the opening track is at times, it is also seriously funky! (And yes, there is the ‘obligatory reggae track’!!)

WELSH CONNECTION – Man
Like GG’s Interview, this was one of my fave LP’s of 1976. Still like this one a lot, too.

TODAY IS THE WRONG SHAPE – Mugstar
A whopping big thanx to Bubblehead for this lovely package. A truly fab early birthday prezzie!

KID JENSON SESSION 1984 – The Pastels
OK, some of it’s a bit twee, but I always really liked Baby Honey which is altogether less typically indie. Not a bad version of it here either.

UP / HEAVEN SCENT – Perfect Disaster
I think PD were one of the best bands of the late 80’s. Up was considered their classic and Heaven Scent seemed slightly disappointing in comparison, Interestingly, Up isn’t sounding quite as good as I remembered but HS is sounding better. Must be my mood!

HITS – Pulp
Nice to be reminded of how many decent singles they made. The two tracks that stood out this week though were Babies with its Wild Swans-like intro and incredibly catchy riff, and the epic, quite marvellous This Is Hardcore.

RELEASE OF THE ATTACKS – V/A
Free download compilation album of d&b, ambient stuff, etc. Some good stuff here...
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/49431

STUPID THING E.P. – Paul Quinn & the Independent Group
I’d never heard this early 90’s until recently. Unfortunately. The opening title track and the cover of The Carpenters Superstar (which I *think* pre-dated the Sonic Youth version), are both perfectly acceptable, but it’s A Passing Thought that deserves all the plaudits. Seven minutes of magic that will surely appeal to fans of Tindersticks, all topped off with THAT voice. Wonderful.

Also
HALIM – Natacha Atlas
SEVENTH TREE – Goldfrapp
FRIDAY 13TH EP – The Damned
5TH & 6TH PEEL SESSIONS – The Nightingales
JU-JU – Siouxsie & the Banshees
THE YOLKS LP – The Yolks

DVD
JOHNNY TOO BAD – John Martyn
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index